Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Question for any gunsmiths here...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1488 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Mine started as a need to repair a couple of guns and there was not gunsmith willing to take on the repairs.

I was overseas (I've got 14 years stationed in Germany), shot IPSC at different ranges, and wore out a 1911 in a couple of years. People saw what I was doing with mine and asked me to do the same to theirs.
I get a lot of the same thing. The difference between me and a gunsmith is people expect me to do it for free. I don't mind helping those who help me. But the ones that complain about the professional gunsmith wanting more than a doctor to fix a gun ($60 an hr) I just try to beat them out of their gun as cheaply as possible. They want full wages for their labor. Everyone else is supposed to work for free or minimum wage.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20921 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I get a lot of the same thing. The difference between me and a gunsmith is people expect me to do it for free. I don't mind helping those who help me. But the ones that complain about the professional gunsmith wanting more than a doctor to fix a gun ($60 an hr) I just try to beat them out of their gun as cheaply as possible. They want full wages for their labor. Everyone else is supposed to work for free or minimum wage.
unless you have an FFL, you can't charge for gun repairs. here is a link to the BATF website which i am citing as the source for my answer.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/gunsmiths.html

i am a hobbiest gunsmith simply because i enjoy working on guns. i would much rather do my own repairs and modifications myself than being at he mercy of someone else's time. i have no desire to do gunsmithing full time and much prefer doing at my own pace and as my time allows it. more than likely if i were to do it full time, it would leave me very little time to work on my own!

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-24-2014 at 06:32 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Back to topic- study firearms, firing mechanisms, barrels,

and IMHO, three of the finest gunsmiths who ever lived:

John Browning

Sam Colt

Col. Nambu
I agree with this they all three were masters in there own way but john browning takes the cake I honestly believe we wouldn't be were we are today in the gun industries if it wasn't for the genius work of john browning. And you can learn so much by just reading his biography

Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Nambu was more into the fully auto side.
Colt was the master of the revolver