question about a browning bda .380
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > question about a browning bda .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default question about a browning bda .380

i there i'm david lopez from monterrey, mexico and i have a couple of questions and i appreciate your kindess for receiving my email ... well let's get start
yesterday i was cleaning my browning bda .380 barrel or bore with hoppe's 9 solvent i pass a cooper brush those for this kind of job then i pass a clean patch several times to remove the solvent finally i lubricate all the bore or barrel with browning gun oil again with a patch and i repeat until the patch was clean and i look and i notice this kinda spot ugly black spot i don't know if it was carbon, cooper or lead but neither the hoppe's 9 nor the gun's oil and brush took out the spot, i'll send some pics that i took inside the barrel so u can see it and if please tell me how to remove it?
i appreciate your kindness have a nice day and excuse my bad english

confused:
de-afuera-del-arma-hacia-dentro.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10386 Times on 4483 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

Hola, David! Que tal? Welcome to the forum. Your English is not a problem- but that spot may be.

I think you probably have a pit- a rust spot that has eaten into the steel of the barrel. Since metal is missing there, no cleaner can remove the spot. If you run a thin probe over that spot, you will probably feel a roughness right there.

A MILD abrasive, such as JB's Bore Shine can help smooth the edges of the pit a little, but will not remove it. Good news- it should not affect the accuracy of your .380. It WILL tend to increase metal fouling a bit- but cleaning the bore will fix that, and you are not likely to be shooting thousands of rounds at one time from a .380.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

My father has one of those. Really nice gun, they dont make them anymore and in good condition they are worth between 1000 and 1200 USD. I dont know if you want to sell it but thats just for youre information.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3276 Times on 1584 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

David,

Unfortunately I concur with C3. Looks like there may been a drop of moisture that settled there and created the problem. As stated us some bore shine. If you have any question about it possibly being some sort of buildup and not rust you can try some SWEETS 7.62 Solvent. But if you do use caution and follow the below steps.
1. Be sure there is absolutely no residue of any other cleaner or lube in the barrel. If any is present it can etch the bore.
2. Put it on a patch and run it wet through the bore! Do not sniff it!
It is very high in ammonia content!
3. Only leave it in the bore for no more than 3-5 minutes before removing it totally.
4. Completely remove it before using any other chemicals or it will etch the bore inside.

As far as your cleaning procedures using the brush and solvent is good. But probably would be best to follow that procedure up with running some patches through the bore with solvent on them also. Then let things set for several minutes so the solvent has time to work before dry patching to see if it is clean. If not repeat the wet solvent patches and then back to dry. Once the dry patches come out clean you are good to go. Then you can run a patch or two with lube through it and then one dry patch to remove the excess lube.
That is a fine pistol you have! My wife carries one for conceal carry and a bed stand gun anb has had it for years. They were made by Beretta for Browning under Browning's Patent and contract. That is why when Beretta came out with their new Model 94, 380 Pistol their decoking lever bust be pushed up rather than down because Browning would not let them use the down stroke decock since they had it on the BDA Pistol. Just a little weapons history there!

Good Luck on the spot! But as stated remove any rough surface and it will still shoot well!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

well thank you very much for your help and your opinion, then as you set i should not have any problem shooting it haa,, well that's good news you saved my life

Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #6

ohh.. well i just bought it from a close friend so i took it to a gunsmith for blueing it here in monterrey, but he didn't tell me about that ugly spot hahaha obviously you in america has better gunsmiths and better technology, anyway is my new toy...... maybe in the future i'll sell it

Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

thank you sniper 03 for your help and your comments and be sure i will do it exactly as you explained, and yes is a nice gun nice shooting very accurate and never jams, unfortunately if that solvent doesn't work i will look at numrich or brownells for the barrel...........uhmmm i hope don't need to buy it, because it costs $like to 290 bucks
Barrel
see it for yourself
thank you to everyone in this nice forum, and don't forget to visit mexico,

Old 11-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #8

Default here's my bda .380

so you can see it bye bye
dsc00507.jpg   dsc00508.jpg