Quality punch set
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Quality punch set

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nickel1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 269
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Happy St. Patty's Day!
Hey all! I'm looking for advise on a good quality punch set that I'll be using on 1911s, glocks, ar15, m&p, and sig. Not sure if mentioning the types of firearms matters but I did just incase. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, should I be using brass only or can I use steel also?

__________________

Last edited by nickel1911; 03-17-2012 at 02:30 PM.
nickel1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
goretro77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 214
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

You can get reasonably priced set from the big dealers online:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147183/wheeler-engineering-punch-set-8-piece-brass?cm_vc=S015680567

get a brass hammer too.

Its worth it to have the right tools at hand.






Happy St. Patrick's day!

__________________

Do not assume anything.

goretro77 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nickel1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 269
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77
You can get reasonably priced set from the big dealers online:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147183/wheeler-engineering-punch-set-8-piece-brass?cm_vc=S015680567

get a brass hammer too.

Its worth it to have the right tools at hand.

Happy St. Patrick's day!
Thanks! I'll look into those. Should brass be used for all pins? Or is it ok to use steel punches also?
__________________
nickel1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
goretro77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 214
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

I like to use brass whenever I can but there are times when you need steel punches too, especially when the pins are very small. Brass punches can mushroom on you, especially when dealing with small sizes so keep in mind when using 'em and don't feel bad if you bend a few until you get better at it. I like to tap my pins out with lighter taps than looking to get 'em out with one big hit.

Its not a bad idea to get a few brass sets just to have some fresh ones handy. Always nice to finish a project same night and not have it held up over a snapped brass punch.



Hope this helps.

__________________

Do not assume anything.

goretro77 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic NC
Posts: 4,122
Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Default

Here's the one I got, nothing fancy but inexpensive and works...

http://www.cheapgunparts.com/store.php?seller=armedamerica@comcast.net&navt1=49 965

__________________
Member NRA, GOA, GRNC, SAF, NAGR

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
vincent is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nickel1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 269
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77
I like to use brass whenever I can but there are times when you need steel punches too, especially when the pins are very small. Brass punches can mushroom on you, especially when dealing with small sizes so keep in mind when using 'em and don't feel bad if you bend a few until you get better at it. I like to tap my pins out with lighter taps than looking to get 'em out with one big hit.

Its not a bad idea to get a few brass sets just to have some fresh ones handy. Always nice to finish a project same night and not have it held up over a snapped brass punch.

Hope this helps.
Excellent advise. Thank you very much.
__________________
nickel1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nickel1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 269
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Here's the one I got, nothing fancy but inexpensive and works...

http://www.cheapgunparts.com/store.php?seller=armedamerica@comcast.net&navt1=49 965
Thanks for posting
__________________
nickel1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nickel1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 269
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses on the brass punch sets! I ended up going with the Starrett brass drive pin punches. Just received them today. They were a bit pricey but the quality is excellent. They also come in a nice quality nylon pouch to help protect them from banging into each other.

image-3983990972.jpg



image-2722111108.jpg

__________________
nickel1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Less Lethal, but still with a serious punch?? Dillinger Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 42 12-08-2011 04:09 PM
Punch sizes? 9mmgun Gunsmithing Forum 1 04-11-2011 01:14 PM
Sucker Punch JonM The Club House 1 03-26-2011 11:51 PM
Which top punch do I need? bassfishindoc Ammunition & Reloading 8 12-13-2010 04:40 PM
300 wsm to punch paper shoez General Rifle Discussion 5 09-23-2009 11:49 PM