Python Blues
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Python Blues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default Python Blues

Customer brought in a Colt Python, someone had done a REAL nasty nickel job on her, and I mean nasty. He wants me to remove the nickel; which I have, and see if I can give her a nice bluing. Whoever did the nickel, used it to cover up some pitting on under lug on barrel; pitting on a scale of 1-10 about a 7.5, however it is a very small overall amount. I would like to fill it in, and if it can be done, a very high polish dark blue could be done. I have excellent high grade silver solder 97%+; has anyone had experience in this situation? Will it take a blue? We are only talking a few spots; but enough to be noticed. I'm concerned on using a nickel gas welding rod so near the barrel; although the under-lug is solid there, and it would be just a dab, then polish / buff out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #2

Liked 66 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Blasphemy!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7289 Times on 3878 Posts
Likes Given: 569

its already been fubar'd

if the only thing thats f'd up is the barrel lug and the rest of the gun is decent enough a new barrel might be in order.

welding nickel onto it, it isnt going to take a bluing.

depends on if its worth the cost to the customer. having colt blue it will add value IF he keeps the paperwork. no offense intended here, if you do it it decreases value regardless of how well you do. but from your description value is pretty much shot anyway

if the owner intent is just to make it a shooter with no intent to sell or rebarrel just clean the pitting and blue as is. you cant add metal back and re blue.

if you used some sort of other coating it is possible
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
McX358 Likes This 
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 280 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've never seen a Silver Solder (or ANY solder) that would take bluing.

A fill with 3% nickel rod would probably work. Tig might be better than
oxy/acetylene. I've set barrels up with water circulating through them
to prevent any heat treat issues while welding.

As others have said---it IS a Python, but it's been Bubba'd. Best it's ever
going to be is a shooter. So heck yes--take a whack at filling the pits etc.
You can always screw in another barrel if it all goes sideways----
McX358 Likes This 
Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #5

I appreciate the input; just wanted to hear from some other "gunny's". As said yea the firearm was trashed when the customer had the moron nickel it. However that being said; that is what I've been in the business since 84; restore, and make silk purses out of sow's ears. a lot of my customers come to me, because they want dad's old shooter too look good again; few have any intention of selling. After I removed the nickel, I shot her, and she shoots extremely well; like the snake it is. The water through the barrel sounds like a good idea, was thinking along packing it with a heat sink material, or something along that line. The pitting is very slight, few would see it, and actually I could take it down enough where a Matt Finish would cover it up; but a Python deserves a nice dark high gloss finish. I have used a tig, and also a gas {I've been using gas for over 41 years; and dam good at it} and have blued over the welds; I.E bolt handles etc; but these specks are small. Again thanks for the advice.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12841 Times on 5487 Posts
Likes Given: 2100

Mac- bluing is a layer of black iron oxide Fe3O4- which is different from rust- Fe2O3. In order to "blue" metal, the metal must contain iron.

Silver solder is a mixture of Silver with copper and zinc. Notice the lack of iron? Silver solder is not going to blue.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #7

Liked 265 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I see a number of problems here-
Nickel plating won't cover pitting.
I don't think there is a 97% silver solder. Sterling silver is 97% silver.
Regardless, you can't blue any solder.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:02 AM   #8

Bill; that's the problem the bone head who nickel the Colt, thought he could;it was so thick the cylinder would barely turn. Your correct; I had a brain cramp on using solder; wanted something to flow into holes, and forgot it won't take a blue. And yes I have 97% silver solder; and yes I will try to remember to snap a picture of it, and send it too you. I acquired some a few years ago; it is very expensive high end stuff; used it recently to fill in the front sight slots on a Vaquero. Customer wanted sights removed for fast draw comp. It polished up real nice, you could almost not see the difference between it and the stainless. It is harder than regular solder; and it is a bitch to work with unless you use the correct flux. I have decided just to take enough metal off lug to remove the pitting; if it is over a few thousandths I would be surprised, so it would be better that way; luckily the pitting is directly under, so it will come out OK.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 AM   #9

Yea I forgot; believe it not I hold a degree in Geology...use to teach it; hey ask a question before you make an error...I'm old sometimes I forget things....a lot on the mind lately...just finished the new building...most of the help was all lip service from my "friends", so after a couple heart attacks while doing the foundation ...hence why I've not been on gun sites, etc..I'm getting back into my gunsmith work. It takes quite a bit out of you, and surgery leaves you with...what was my name, so it is some catching up in order. I have always felt a fool goes in head first sometimes, a wise man will ask if he doesn't know or in this case remember.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22395 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i am not a gunsmith but a home tinkerer of guns, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

what about draw filing the pits out and then sanding and polishing the metal?

then once the pits were gone an the metal polished to look like the rest of the pistol, then you could re-blue it.
McX358 Likes This