Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > PT1911 Hammer lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default PT1911 Hammer lock

I picked one of these up on a trade a long time ago and the keys had been lost so I decided to remove it. I've read where lots of folks replace the hammer (and sear) but this isn't necessary.

Break the gun down to the point where you can remove the hammer & strut. Drift out the pin thats located above the hammer strut pin. With the pin removed, the lock will come out by applying a little centrifugal force. I popped mine a few times against the kitchen table and the lock popped out. Reassembled the gun and all is good. I'd read that these locks like to suddenly engage (like you hear about on S&W revolvers) so even if I had the keys I'd have done it anyway. Takes about 15-20 minutes to do.

Also, from my own experience, replacing the hammer without replacing the sear is an iffy proposition. I always use a matched set as this way I'm sure that the angles and tolerances are correct...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Or you could do as I did & grind the bottom of the lock off so that it still looks stock but is effectively inoperative.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Or you could do as I did & grind the bottom of the lock off so that it still looks stock but is effectively inoperative.
Actually with the lock guts removed all you see is the hole in the hammer that you always see anyway...