Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > PSL Dragunov

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default PSL Dragunov

I bought a gun kit a couple years back and just recently finished it . The problem now is I've gauged it Go No Go and the No Go goes. Not sure what I need to do now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. I'd love to see pics.
You got a bit of a job on your hands. I would recommend bringing it to a gunsmith.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
I bought a gun kit a couple years back and just recently finished it . The problem now is I've gauged it Go No Go and the No Go goes. Not sure what I need to do now.
Using the right gage?? Its 7.62x54r. Not x51 or x39 both will go in and close.

The bolt carrier will also mostly close look closed but the bolt wont be rotated fully. Psl can fire with the bolt not fully locked

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Welcome to FTF. I'd love to see pics.
You got a bit of a job on your hands. I would recommend bringing it to a gunsmith.
Not really sure how to attach photo from iPhone

Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog

Not really sure how to attach photo from iPhone
Open up a new reply, then hit the little plus symbol in the top right corner of the screen next to the 'send' button. When you hit that, it'll open up and hit attach image from camera or attach from photos. And just follow it out from there.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX

Open up a new reply, then hit the little plus symbol in the top right corner of the screen next to the 'send' button. When you hit that, it'll open up and hit attach image from camera or attach from photos. And just follow it out from there.
jpg 29.3 KB 650 650
image-4236474333.jpg   image-2684321727.jpg  

Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Using the right gage?? Its 7.62x54r. Not x51 or x39 both will go in and close.

The bolt carrier will also mostly close look closed but the bolt wont be rotated fully. Psl can fire with the bolt not fully locked
Yes it is 7.62x54r. And I will check to see if the bolt does in fact rotate fully. However if this is the case , can it still be fired in a safe manner. I'll be honest with you I am a bit nervous to fire now wondering if it's going to backfire on me???

Old 06-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
Yes it is 7.62x54r. And I will check to see if the bolt does in fact rotate fully. However if this is the case , can it still be fired in a safe manner. I'll be honest with you I am a bit nervous to fire now wondering if it's going to backfire on me???
at this point you might want a field gage. if it doesnt close on a field gage your good to go. preference is to not close on nogo. if it closes on field then you need a gunsmith familiar with psl/ak47 rebarreling. not terribly common since they are considered disposable.

i would not fire it.

one other thing did you use a new barrel pin or the one it came with?? those cannot be reused and most of the kits send what was stripped off the original gun

these guys specialize in ak/psl/fpk type stuff. dont know anything about em but ive seen their name pop up a lot researching dragunovs and psl http://www.rifledynamics.com/

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-09-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No comments on what to do with it but it is really nice looking

Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

You might be able to save the barrel, by welding up the bolt face remachining to fit, and then lenthening the firing pin, and extractor. After you get it to fit, send it off to re heattreat.

Or

You can tig weld up the gas port, or thread it, plug it and sweat it. Set the barrel back as usual and then redrill a new gas port.

The second method is probly less risky, both require you to be a handy machinist. Unless there is somthing really different on this rifle, setting the barrel back is the way to go.

Last edited by triggerjob; 06-11-2012 at 03:06 PM.