Professional Input needed...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Professional Input needed...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Professional Input needed...

Hello everyone,
New to this forum and as I have always been told, when in doubt or question, seek the knowledge of experts. Does anyone have any knowledge; personal, professional, etc... about the Master Level Gunsmith Certification course offered through American Gunsmithing Institute? I have received information from AGI concerning the course. The situation for me is this: I am a 60% rated Disabled Vet, and would be doing this course through VocRehab. The rest of the story is that I live in Texas (no schools anywhere NEAR me for 700+ miles), am married and have 6 kids. I would give anything to go to Colorado School of Trades or Trinidad, or ANY 2 year resident program. But as you can already see, I am stuck.

Any knowledge about this course program would be helpful. Fortunately for me, if they approve it, the VA would pay for the course...just wanting to find out if the course itself would hold any relevance.

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think it's a great course. I thought I knew a lot until I took the professional course back in 2002 and learned all manner of new things.

if you have any concerns about learning from video instruction I suggest you get AGI on the phone and order the introductory course. If it feels like you'll be able to follow along and learn, then get the big course. The full course is way beyond what the armorer's videos cover.

Also, the second Wednesday of each month is the free online seminar where you can ask questions and pick up some tips.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dont know how your vocrehab works since you're a vet and in Texas but me being 'disabled' from birth I had VocRehab for my normal school. I tried to change to a trade school but they dont do trade schools period is what I was told. So now I'm paying out the nose for 14 months of gunsmithing school in Denver.

We have several disabled people working in the shop, most of them vets. And spots come open from time to time and most of the students are able to get housing less than a mile or two away. Its a 14 month program 4 days a week 8-4pm. If you're interested check out he website.
Gunsmith School | Lakewood | Colorado School of Trades

Sorry I cant really speak about AGI courses, I just know the videos are pretty informative since we have a lot of them for rent in the store the students.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #4

I'm in a simular boat as you. I'm not a military VET but I am disabled. I live in a small town in Wyoming and plan to open up my own little gunsmithing business in the near future. I happen to be working on the AGI course right now. I have no complaints. It's by no means a fly-by-night program. It is an indepth, comprehensive course providing great detail to subject matter. The staff are easy to work with and always ready to help. The video instructor, Robert Dunlop, is quick to respond to emails with assistance. My AGI rep is named Oscar. He's a real nice guy. Give him a call if you want to and tell him I sent you.

Good Luck

Steve Ogburn from Wyoming

Old 09-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

Go for it. Im enrolled in the Enhanced Master course and I freakin love it. Sadly VocRehab denied me. Said I was to young and not dissabled enough. So I had to find other means even with an 80% rating. Old Bob Dunlap is kinda goofy and it can get a little dry sometimes but its well worth it. I just finished up the pistol portion and Im on shotguns now.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #6

Default Professional Input needed...

Never took there course but when i frist got into gun and working on them i aquired some of there videos, have 22 of them, the are very informitive on all the info you will need to do a course or even the trade, but the video quality is a little limited on some of the orginal videos, they look like they were made in someones basment, but like i said good and very informative.....So if you can afford it i would take them. I don't know if you can be considered a true master gunsmith i was under the asumtion you had to apperntice under a master to get the true title... something to look into.