Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   ported & compensated. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/ported-compensated-64164/)

Zamzow 05-09-2012 11:19 PM

ported & compensated.

What's the difference between ported barrels and compensated barrels. If there is a difference explain please.

Zamzow

Dearhunter 05-09-2012 11:43 PM

Compensated barrels are gun barrels that have attached hardware.

Ported barrels are gun barrels that have actual slits or holes cut in the top or sides of the gun barrel.

Example.

I have a 1911 45 compensator that slips in over the barrel and locks in place, which replaces the front bushing.

My Colt Sauer 300 weatherby mag rifle has actual slits cut in four places in the forward part of the barrel.

Zamzow 05-10-2012 04:46 PM

So what's better to have. The compensated or the ported.

Zamzow

Zamzow 05-10-2012 04:47 PM

Does one have more muzzle flash then the other.

Zamzow

Axxe55 05-10-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zamzow (Post 796350)
So what's better to have. The compensated or the ported.

Zamzow

depends on the barrel design. a barrel has to be threaded for a compensator to be attached. the compensator has threads that allow it to be screwed onto the barrel. some revolvers, need to have ports cut into them because of the shape of the barrel. but also even a barrel that could be threaded for a compensator could be ported instead. but some because of the shape could only be ported.

JTJ 05-10-2012 07:01 PM

I had a ported snub nose 38 spl revolver. Had is the key word after firing it on a darkened shooting range. They are also louder. You get blinded and deafened with one shot in a dark room.

Dearhunter 05-10-2012 08:46 PM

compensated or ported

For handguns, I go with compensated. This is because, if you change your mind, it is removable. Ported is forever, no choice remaining.

orangello 05-10-2012 08:48 PM

Didn't Mossberg start porting their shotgun barrels the last few years? That one seems weird to me, but i guess it helps with staying on target. The attack on the original Death Star should've let us all know how important that can be.

Zamzow 05-10-2012 09:15 PM

Yes mossberg does. I know because I own one that has holes at the end of the barrel. Don't understand that either. But o well. Not always ment to understand why things r the way they r. Lol.

Zamzow

Axxe55 05-10-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearhunter (Post 796543)
For handguns, I go with compensated. This is because, if you change your mind, it is removable. Ported is forever, no choice remaining.

i agree to a point. if the barrel is able to be compensated, yes better option. but some barrels because of their design, just are harder to compensate, and would be easier to port. drawback to porting is the fact that it permanent, but anoter drawback is the louder report and larger muzzle flash. but they do tame recoil a lot.