Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Popped primer (I think)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Default Popped primer (I think)

I was at the range today with my Stevens 335 16 gauge. I noticed that some of the shells were coming out with black holes where the primers are (I believe this would be a popped primer) Stupidly I did not save one to take a picture of. I also had one shell misfire. The pin struck it but the shell did not go off. I've tested it with a snap cap and the firing pin seems to leave a small scratch as well as the dent in the middle. I also examined the firing pin today and it appears to be very sharp and jagged. The other one is more round and smooth. What problems could this pose to the firearm? Should I replace the firing pin? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2208 Times on 1104 Posts
Likes Given: 1133

Yes you should replace the firing pin! Sounds like it is piercing the primers! It should be radiused (rounded) on the tip. I would not shoot it anymore until I got the repaired. It is obviously letting pressure come back into the chamber. Numrich Arms or Gun Parts Inc.(Same) Is a good place to possibly find one.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

What is the worst case scenario if I don't replace it? And from what I understand these Stevens were relatively simple. I can work my way around things with a set of tools. Do you think I would be able to replace it myself?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 200

The term you are looking for is PIERCED primer. An old, damaged FP can definately cause this. Replace it

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #5

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

Hot gasses in your face is not something to mess around with. This can be serious. Get it fixed...even if you have to pay a gunsmith. Don't shoot it until it is repaired.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #6

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

It should be easy enough to remove the firing pin and smooth the end of it. Careful not to shorten it, just round off the end.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #7

It's a very jagged piece. I don't believe I could smooth it without shortening it.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #8

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

You have nothing to lose by trying. Like stated above it probably should not be used as is. If you shorten it it may still work fine. It does not have to be perfect just not sharp like a nail.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #9

Okay guys, i'm sorry to be such a bother, but I need some help once again. I took off the stock, took the action and everything apart, filed down the firing pin similar to how the other one is. The problem is putting it back together. I've got the hammers in place along with the springs, and I also have the rest of the trigger mechanism (not sure on the exact name) on it. The problem is that I have locked the swivels on the front that would allow the forearm to attach, and I have locked the firing pins into the position they would be at after it has been shot. I see where the pieces should go, I just don't know how to fix it. Anyone have an idea? I'll link a picture below to try and point out some of the parts I was talking about.

One last thing, I don't know how descriptive I was (if I was at all) so if anything needs clarifying, please just let me know. Thanks again

img_0849.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
It should be easy enough to remove the firing pin and smooth the end of it. Careful not to shorten it, just round off the end.
+1 on that ...

FK

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping