polishing stainless steel matt finish pistol

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > polishing stainless steel matt finish pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default polishing stainless steel matt finish pistol

I have 2 Taurus matt finish pistols and I would like to brighten them up just a bit. Not till they are shinny. How can I do this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottelybill View Post
I have 2 Taurus matt finish pistols and I would like to brighten them up just a bit. Not till they are shinny. How can I do this?
How bright do you want to go? Something like brushed stainless?

Also why polish them. There is a pretty good functional reason fro guns having a dull finish. If you ever shoot outside in the blazing sun, you will know immediately.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

yes like brushed. these two guns are for carry. I have others I shoot outside with mostly. thanks

Old 04-20-2014, 04:30 AM   #4

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Really fine sand paper used in mostly one direction on a surface. There is a good video on YouTube of a guy removing scuffs on his Ruger GP 100 and blending things in with the original brushed stainless finish.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6017 Times on 3151 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Be careful some of those "matte stainless" finish isn't stainless but paint. Especially if the part is aluminum.

My beretta m9 compact inox is stainless barrel and slide but has a coating over the stainless and the aluminum lower is painted to match.

I would contact taurus first with your exact model and serial and ask them if it will hurt the gun to do light polishing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #6

Location: First 42 years in Maine Past 19 years in Alaska now back in Maine
Liked 49 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottelybill View Post
yes like brushed. these two guns are for carry. I have others I shoot outside with mostly. thanks
What if you need to use your (carry Gun) during the day outside in the bright sun light? Plus the dull finish works in your favor at night too. It will help because it will not reflect as much light, so not to make you the target. Not trying to be a wise ass, just some helpful hints from an old fart that has been down that road.
Dull or dark finish is your best friend when it comes to SD weapons.

Last edited by TerryM; 04-24-2014 at 09:31 PM.