Polishing or Lapping Compound

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Polishing or Lapping Compound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Chr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Polishing or Lapping Compound

I would like to polish the bolt and the receiver on my Rugar Mark lll. What would you recommend and where can I get the compound? Would it be worth the time and effort?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Depends on what you hope to accomplish- cosmetic, or making action smoother? FLITZ brand metal polish works well with a lot of things- Google- available at a LOT of retail stores. Be aware that all polishes are abrasive- some very mildly, some aggressively. Get too enthusiastic on a blued gun, you will have an unblued gun.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Not knowing what you are exactley wanting to do I went here and searched for Lapping compounds. Midway is a good store, check them out!

MidwayUSA - Advanced Search

Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Chr

Default Like to make the action smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Depends on what you hope to accomplish- cosmetic, or making action smoother? FLITZ brand metal polish works well with a lot of things- Google- available at a LOT of retail stores. Be aware that all polishes are abrasive- some very mildly, some aggressively. Get too enthusiastic on a blued gun, you will have an unblued gun.
Thanks for your reply.
My thought was to make the (bolt assembly & receiver) action smoother and improve the gun.
I am ordering a new triger and sear and installing a set of Wolfe springs.
Thanks again.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For simply polishing, I use white rouge and my Dremel tool. You might be able to find it at your local hardware store. I did my G27 barrel and I love it!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #6

For quick jobs, try Pearl Drops Tooth Polish. Very mild abrasive, so no worries about causing harm to the parts. No stains if you get it on blued parts. Re-use until you get the desired effect.

If Pearl Drops isn't available, look for toothpastes with mild abrasives - many don't have the gritty feel of PD, so you may have to try a few brands.

Doing this by hand, or do you have a buffing wheel? Be careful with the motorized wheels - easy to over-due it!