Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Please... Dont Laugh.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Please... Dont Laugh.

I was looking at uppers and lowers for an AR style rifle. Stag Arms actually.
My point is that by buying the upper and lower seperately one could save around 200$... am i missing something? when i buy complete uppers and lowers is there something else yet to buy to comeplete a full rifle? if not, why doesnt everyone do this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #2

ummm ok? ammo and magazines?

letmef u c k i n gggooglethatforyou.com

Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Some people are happy with a ready made rifle. Others do not believe they have the savy to put one together. At any rate aint it great there are so many options?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #4

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There are so many options involving ARs its rediculous. You can save some money putting it together yourself if you think you are up to it. Shop around and if you have questions just ask, plenty of guys here can help you.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #5

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

When a firearm company sells parts as opposed to a complete firearm it takes them completely out of the liability loop.

When you buy a part from them there is an implied consent that you will contract the assembly of that part into a properly running gun.

This expectation also removes the manufacture "almost" completely from warranty issues because they no longer have assembly/parts control. (Try to exercise a warranty claim on a part you installed on your hybrid gun.)

Save using the complete upper as a club, (which is not product intent) you can not shoot anyone with this inert part. This also applies to the lower receiver whether it's stripped or complete but.......this part must be transfered through a FFL. It is the soul of the firearm (as dictated by the BATFE) and must be taxed!

Simply put, the more parts vs complete guns a company sells, the lower their malpractice* insurance premium. (*PLI, product liability insurance.)

Unlike an automobile, you can buy parts and build your own AR for less than a complete gun but..............sans warranty.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWineKline View Post
am i missing something? when i buy complete uppers and lowers is there something else yet to buy to comeplete a full rifle? if not, why doesnt everyone do this?
Nope. Your not missing anything. Pin it, load it, shoot it.

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #7

generally uppers don't come with BCGs and charging handles, Lowers don't usually come with LPKs...there's your $200-$300
I have bought complete ARs and have assembled ARs. Depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish it's generally within $100-$200 cheaper to build a run-of-the-mill AR vs buy a complete one. I saved about $150 on my M16A4 clone buy bargain shopping and waiting for sales. I also had a spare upper.

Last edited by k2enemy; 05-10-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
When a firearm company sells parts as opposed to a complete firearm it takes them completely out of the liability loop.

When you buy a part from them there is an implied consent that you will contract the assembly of that part into a properly running gun.

This expectation also removes the manufacture "almost" completely from warranty issues because they no longer have assembly/parts control. (Try to exercise a warranty claim on a part you installed on your hybrid gun.)

Save using the complete upper as a club, (which is not product intent) you can not shoot anyone with this inert part. This also applies to the lower receiver whether it's stripped or complete but.......this part must be transfered through a FFL. It is the soul of the firearm (as dictated by the BATFE) and must be taxed!

Simply put, the more parts vs complete guns a company sells, the lower their malpractice* insurance premium. (*PLI, product liability insurance.)

Unlike an automobile, you can buy parts and build your own AR for less than a complete gun but..............sans warranty.
That is great info Canebrake, never thought of that! Thumbs Up!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #9

Quote:
My point is that by buying the upper and lower seperately one could save around 200$... am i missing something? when i buy complete uppers and lowers is there something else yet to buy to comeplete a full rifle? if not, why doesnt everyone do this?
You can not only save considerable money, you can spend it a bit at a time.

I wouldn't worry about any reliabity problems. From my experience, you'll receive better parts. I also wouldn't worry about warranty. I've had no trouble at all with a warranty on indviudual parts. But you won't need it. You have both a cheaper, and a better, AR, assuming you buy quality parts from reputable companies.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 AM   #10

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
This is the only way I buy an AR, the only thing you get extra by buying a complete rifle is a couple mags.
And $200 will buy a lot of mags.