Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Please... Dont Laugh. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/please-dont-laugh-26308/)

RedWineKline 04-21-2010 07:27 AM

Please... Dont Laugh.

I was looking at uppers and lowers for an AR style rifle. Stag Arms actually.
My point is that by buying the upper and lower seperately one could save around 200$... am i missing something? when i buy complete uppers and lowers is there something else yet to buy to comeplete a full rifle? if not, why doesnt everyone do this?

jamnmike 04-21-2010 08:09 AM

ummm ok? ammo and magazines?:D

DrumJunkie 04-21-2010 08:39 AM

Some people are happy with a ready made rifle. Others do not believe they have the savy to put one together. At any rate aint it great there are so many options?

spittinfire 04-21-2010 10:21 AM

There are so many options involving ARs its rediculous. You can save some money putting it together yourself if you think you are up to it. Shop around and if you have questions just ask, plenty of guys here can help you.

canebrake 04-21-2010 12:11 PM

When a firearm company sells parts as opposed to a complete firearm it takes them completely out of the liability loop.

When you buy a part from them there is an implied consent that you will contract the assembly of that part into a properly running gun.

This expectation also removes the manufacture "almost" completely from warranty issues because they no longer have assembly/parts control. (Try to exercise a warranty claim on a part you installed on your hybrid gun.)

Save using the complete upper as a club, (which is not product intent) you can not shoot anyone with this inert part. This also applies to the lower receiver whether it's stripped or complete but.......this part must be transfered through a FFL. It is the soul of the firearm (as dictated by the BATFE) and must be taxed!

Simply put, the more parts vs complete guns a company sells, the lower their malpractice* insurance premium. (*PLI, product liability insurance.)

Unlike an automobile, you can buy parts and build your own AR for less than a complete gun but..............sans warranty.

Brad 04-21-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWineKline (Post 273484)
am i missing something? when i buy complete uppers and lowers is there something else yet to buy to comeplete a full rifle? if not, why doesnt everyone do this?

Nope. Your not missing anything. Pin it, load it, shoot it.

k2enemy 05-10-2010 06:48 PM

generally uppers don't come with BCGs and charging handles, Lowers don't usually come with LPKs...there's your $200-$300
I have bought complete ARs and have assembled ARs. Depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish it's generally within $100-$200 cheaper to build a run-of-the-mill AR vs buy a complete one. I saved about $150 on my M16A4 clone buy bargain shopping and waiting for sales. I also had a spare upper.

amoroque 05-10-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 273538)
When a firearm company sells parts as opposed to a complete firearm it takes them completely out of the liability loop.

When you buy a part from them there is an implied consent that you will contract the assembly of that part into a properly running gun.

This expectation also removes the manufacture "almost" completely from warranty issues because they no longer have assembly/parts control. (Try to exercise a warranty claim on a part you installed on your hybrid gun.)

Save using the complete upper as a club, (which is not product intent) you can not shoot anyone with this inert part. This also applies to the lower receiver whether it's stripped or complete but.......this part must be transfered through a FFL. It is the soul of the firearm (as dictated by the BATFE) and must be taxed!

Simply put, the more parts vs complete guns a company sells, the lower their malpractice* insurance premium. (*PLI, product liability insurance.)

Unlike an automobile, you can buy parts and build your own AR for less than a complete gun but..............sans warranty.

That is great info Canebrake, never thought of that! Thumbs Up!

Jamesaritchie 05-11-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

My point is that by buying the upper and lower seperately one could save around 200$... am i missing something? when i buy complete uppers and lowers is there something else yet to buy to comeplete a full rifle? if not, why doesnt everyone do this?

You can not only save considerable money, you can spend it a bit at a time.

I wouldn't worry about any reliabity problems. From my experience, you'll receive better parts. I also wouldn't worry about warranty. I've had no trouble at all with a warranty on indviudual parts. But you won't need it. You have both a cheaper, and a better, AR, assuming you buy quality parts from reputable companies.

7.62 Man 05-13-2010 03:25 AM

Quote:

This is the only way I buy an AR, the only thing you get extra by buying a complete rifle is a couple mags.
And $200 will buy a lot of mags.