Places to buy Reamer, deep hole drills, and rifling tools
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Places to buy Reamer, deep hole drills, and rifling tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Places to buy Reamer, deep hole drills, and rifling tools

Hello!,

I opened this tread to ask you about the tool stores in wich i could ask for this tools. I am from Argentina and this tools are dificult to find for the size i want.
I would like to make a barrel for a remington 0.223, So i have been watching in Ebay and there are reamers of 7/32 of an inch, but i don't know if it will be enough accurate for the 0.223. So I thought that there must be special places to ask for this tools. I have experience with knife and swords, and i have an electric Klin to make heat treatments (As I explained in the presentation forum), so I was thinking on making the tools from HSS steel. But if I could by them it will be easy (I have acces to milling machines to make them, but not the experience).

could anyone tell me where I could ask for this tools?

Thank you very much,

Damián

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Firearm reamers are a very specialized tool- the items on ebay that are not specifically listed as being for a firearm are probably unsuited for that purpose. The link below is to a company called Brownells that is a very large mail order supplier of parts and tools to the gunsmithing trade.

CLICK HERE: Gunsmith Tools & Supplies on Sale - Brownells

Please go to their tab on ordering, and then the tab on international sales. There are a number of items that cannot be exported from the US without an export permit issued by the US State Department. Those items include items you would expect to be on a restricted list, such as firearm frames, barrels, etc- but include items you might NOT expect, such as certain telescopes.

Your English is MUCH better than my Spanish, but some technical terms do not translate well. If there is ever confusion over a term any of us may use, please speak out.

SOME of us are still trying to learn English!

Many gunsmiths purchase barrels that are already bored to a given diameter and rifled, and cut their own chamber, mounting threads, muzzle crown, etc. I regret that I cannot offer more advice- I am a hobbyist, not a gunsmith, and have never attempted to rifle a barrel other than building a muzzleloading black powder rifle, and recreating the old ways of cutting rifling.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #3

c3shooter,

Thankyou for the info. I'll try to contact them to see what they could sendme.
I am starting with the blueprints (in solid edge) for an AK 74, but it takes time, because is a hobby. I will learn in the hard way, and there is a lot of diference comparing with the swords that are my current hobby.

Thanks again,

Damián

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the info c3shooter
thanks

Last edited by dhyayi; 09-15-2011 at 05:35 AM.