Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Pitting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/pitting-44178/)

texaswoodworker 06-21-2011 07:59 PM

Pitting

How do you remove pitting? There is some pitting on the side plates of my old shotgun and was wondering what the best way to remove it would be or if I should just leave it alone. Its a little deep. Any advise?

Thanks

JonM 06-21-2011 08:32 PM

you cant remove it without grinding the surface flush to the deepest pitting. this technique generally ruins the structural integrity of the part. its fine to do if your just restoring a wall hanger. on a functional shooter its a not a good idea. it can turn a gun from a firearm into a bomb.

orangello 06-21-2011 08:34 PM

It seems like Bondo would've made a filler for this by now.

texaswoodworker 06-21-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 527018)
you cant remove it without grinding the surface flush to the deepest pitting. this technique generally ruins the structural integrity of the part. its fine to do if your just restoring a wall hanger. on a functional shooter its a not a good idea. it can turn a gun from a firearm into a bomb.

Ok. It will be a functional shooter so I'll leave it alone. Thanks for the advise.

HotGuns 06-21-2011 09:08 PM

Dura Coat makes a compound just for this.
A guy found a .22 single action pistol in a ditch and turned it into the Marshals office. They ran the numbers on it and it came back clean.

It had been there awhile and it was really pitted up on the bottom side. The Marshal asked me if I could clean it up.

So, I took it home, took it apart and sand blasted it. I ordered the stuff from DuraCoat and applied it on the gun,using a plastic knife to go over it. Let it dry, sand it a bit and then I Duracoated the gun with Matte black.

The gun looked new. The pitting was gone and it looked like a it was bought yesterday. I took it to the Marshals office and he freaked out. He thought I was playing a joke on him, having replaced it with a new gun until I convinced him that it was the same gun by showing him the serial number.

That stuff worked great. Its really the only way to get rid of the pitting and the good thing about DuraCoat is that it makes gun virtually rust free.

Its worth trying.

orangello 06-21-2011 09:11 PM

^^^ Seriously? :eek:

I would love to see some pictures of that product in action!

HotGuns 06-21-2011 09:19 PM

Seriously.

Manufacturer of DuraCoat Firearms Finishes

orangello 06-21-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotGuns (Post 527051)

That is freakin awesome!

texaswoodworker 06-23-2011 02:51 AM

I may have to try that stuff. Does it have to be applied with a spray gun or can it be wiped on?

texaswoodworker 06-23-2011 06:22 AM

will it be visible after I blue the gun?