pistol barrel lapping?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > pistol barrel lapping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default pistol barrel lapping?

i have heard that barrel lapping can make your gun more accurate also it can help lessin wear on the barrel because it gets rid of the ruffness also making the cleaning process faster and easier. is this true? also can this work on a pistol barrel that is only 4in long?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Not necessary, Chad. Precision rifle barrels sometimes benefit from lapping, but a combat pistol should not need it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Barrel break in

Well, I did the Krieder break-in normally used on new rifles, on my S&W Mod 27 with an 8 3/8" barrel and saw a remarkable drop off in fouling and a reduction in shot spread (grouping) from about 7 inches on the first 5 shots to around 2 inches on the last 5 at 25 yards. I registered every shot from the first to the 25th. Of course the first 10 were days apart so sight picture variations could account for some of that spread, but the fouling dropped off significantly owing to a smoother bore. The gun is very accurate now--much better than I am with 6+ decade eyes, and I can't help but believe that much of that is due to the break-in routine. Also any leading and/or copper fouling is wiped out with a tight patch.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you are buying a precision rifle barrel that hasn't been lapped it isn't worth the money you paid for it.

as for a revolver. I highly doubt it will do any good.