Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Is pillar bedding necessary (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/pillar-bedding-necessary-52978/)

ldcattle 12-04-2011 11:10 AM

Is pillar bedding necessary

I have a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Mag. I've owned it since new in 1981. It has factory stock therefore it is not pillar bedded. It's extremely accurate, 1/2 MOA.

I'm left handed and just acquired a right handed 700 BDL in 7mm Mag. It also is 1/2 MOA. I would like to get one of Boyd's left handed stocks for a right handed action. I keep reading where a magnum rifle should be pillar bedded in order for accuracy.

Is pillar bedding really needed? It seems an unnecessary expense on an already accurate rifle.

Any experts comments appreciated.

hiwall 12-04-2011 12:34 PM

No. If anyone has a 1/2 MOA rifle why on earth would you risk the change to pillar bedding. Yes it can make it less accurate.

Axxe55 12-04-2011 01:31 PM

my suggestion would be if it is already capable of that type of accuracy, no i wouldn't. but if your intention is to change the stock, then i would say yes go ahead, because pillar bedding can make one more accurate.

Vincine 12-04-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldcattle (Post 643025)
Is pillar bedding really needed? It seems an unnecessary expense on an already accurate rifle. Any experts comments appreciated.

If you're changing your stock, maybe, maybe not.
I found this:Floating and Bedding: Accurizing Your Rifle

Dillinger 12-04-2011 06:27 PM

Because the rifle is 1/2 MOA now doesn't mean it will stay that way if you change stocks, because the pressure points between the action and the stock will change. This will change the dynamics of how the rounds fired will react.

Of course it doesn't mean that it won't perform just as well, but on average, a change in stock can change performance.

Changing from a factory stock to more of a customized stock would benefit from some sort of bedding, but it does not necessarily have to be pillar bedding. It can be standard custom bedding (glass bedding) to create a hand in glove fit between what sounds like one hell of a good action and barrel to your new stock.

The easiest way to understand what this does is to basically create a rock solid platform for the action to sit on, so there are no external harmonics that can change between fired shots.

If you have questions one of the best things I can recommend is find a good, local gunsmith and have him/her take a look at your specific rifle.

JD

ldcattle 12-05-2011 02:43 PM

I only want to change the stock because the factory stock is right handed and the cheek piece being on the wrong side doesn't allow for a comfortable aiming point.

Catfish 12-05-2011 05:01 PM

I personally am not a fan of pillar bedding. I have a Savage that I put a pillar bedded stock on and it would shoot 1/2 moa all day. BUT, after I glass bedded the action it went to 1/4 moa. So my question is why would you want to go 1/2 way? If you feel you needed it bedded glass bed it. That`s my feelings for what their worth.

stalkingbear 12-05-2011 08:46 PM

Pillar bedding is a good idea but I also recommend full glass bedding.