pennsylvania gunsmithing school? Any one hear of it? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > pennsylvania gunsmithing school? Any one hear of it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

thanks that was a ton of helpful information. I am going to keep doing my extensive search

Old 12-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #12

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twpbaseball10
I been looking into going to gunsmithing school because of how much I enjoy working with guns and such. But I know that it is not a very good buisness economically. I looked into the pennsylvania gunsmithing school and after doing a lot of reasearch it explains that you can go into more fields such as machinging, woodworking, tool and die shops, welders, and ofcorse firearms companies. I like doing all of this and being able to have my options open is very nice.
Has anyone know of people who have been to the school. Also does anyone think this would be a good way to go. I been in college for 2 years and I kept trying to make myself think it was right for me. I want to pick up a trade like I originally wanted and this school seems pretty good. I would really like as much help as I can get
Thanks
I live right up the street from that school in pittsburgh! Its very exspensive about the same as u of pitt a year plus you have to pay for the tools and clothes they give u that r junk so u have to buy ur own plus they dont give u any guns or projects to work on yiu have to bring (buy) your own. You get out of it what you put into it really. Alot of ppl just do the bare min to get by. I have two friends that went there one is now a master sgt armorer with the us arny and the other continued to train in switzerland and germany via recomendation feom the school and is now a master gunsmith at a lical shop north of pittsburgh. Hes been offered jobs by the military and compqnies like remmington bushmaster and h&k but likes to keep it simple and stay local. Do im not bashing the school i myself will go there after the army but its costly and you jave to put ur own effort into or else its a waste of ur time and money!

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #13

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Sorry for the bad spellin also i was hitting the buttons on my cell fast hehe

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #14

Well its going to be a lot cheaper than the 4 year school im going to now haha. I really want to go to CST but the only thing still keeping pitt a very close 2nd is the fact that I want to live in PA after I get out of school. I dont like it here in NJ and have been planning on moving there and I figured if I went to school there it would help me find a place to settle in to. And I know what you mean by getting in what you put out of it. Im going to keep looking and hopefully I can come up with a decision soon.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
rmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside_Sports
I'm biased since I went to the lassen gunsmithing school but I haven't heard anything bad the on PA.
Did you go when Dunlap was still there

Old 12-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gunsmithing Schools

Try AGI (AmericanGunsmith.Com). They have a great source of video's and several courses you can take right at home at your own pace. I have several of their Armours courses and they are in depth instructions on how to disassemble/reassemble firearms.They also have how to repair them, plus parts that should never be taken out or fooled with.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:42 AM   #17

Yea I have been looking into thoes videos a lot becuase they do look very good. The only thing is they are expensive and it would be nice to be able to get hands on work first so the work they teach me will be easier. I been planning on maybe getting some videos after school just so I can gather more information.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dunlap had already retired from teaching full time at the school, but he was still teaching DFR for second year students. John Martin and Andy Faircloth were the main instructors.

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #19
rmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside_Sports View Post
Dunlap had already retired from teaching full time at the school, but he was still teaching DFR for second year students. John Martin and Andy Faircloth were the main instructors.
I never knew either of them . When I went there Bob taught all the DFR, John Vest taught stock making and engraving, Ron Bacchus was the mach shop teacher and Gary Boyd was there during the day and Lee Foresberg would be there in the afternoons.John Mulchaey ran the welding program. I worked for Bob when I was going to school and for a few years after . Some times I really miss that place but I don't really miss the CA laws in general let alone the gun laws.I was wondering what would become of the school when Bob left since he had been a fixture there for so long