Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > pennsylvania gunsmithing school? Any one hear of it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default pennsylvania gunsmithing school? Any one hear of it?

I been looking into going to gunsmithing school because of how much I enjoy working with guns and such. But I know that it is not a very good buisness economically. I looked into the pennsylvania gunsmithing school and after doing a lot of reasearch it explains that you can go into more fields such as machinging, woodworking, tool and die shops, welders, and ofcorse firearms companies. I like doing all of this and being able to have my options open is very nice.
Has anyone know of people who have been to the school. Also does anyone think this would be a good way to go. I been in college for 2 years and I kept trying to make myself think it was right for me. I want to pick up a trade like I originally wanted and this school seems pretty good. I would really like as much help as I can get
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Personally im not familiar with that school but I do know there is a vocational school which offers a gunsmithing class. I cant remember the name right now, im sure it will come to me later. I do know that it has multiple campuses in eastern PA.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

ok great. I didnt know that there were a lot of vocational school that offer gunsmithing classes

Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm biased since I went to the lassen gunsmithing school but I haven't heard anything bad the on PA.

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #5

I havent heard of many gunsmithing school in general. when I did a search this came up a lot so i fugures it would be a good one. It was hard to find many good gumsmithing schools using google

Old 11-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #6

I here that Penn Ed. Is a good school for gunsmithing I have been searching as well and have done some research on this school and it is S&W approved. Good luck

Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #7

I never thought about seeing what other gun companies thought about it. Im going to look into that as well

Old 12-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #8

Default Gunsmithing Schools

There are a number of legit Gunsmithing Schools around. The oldest in Denver, CO and the school I attended, Trinidad State Jr. College, Gunsmithing Dept.. I received a real AA when I completed the course. It is a 2 year course including the Academic part. I took most of the Academics locally before moving to Trinidad, CO to take the course. It is very highly rated. After graduation I was able to operate my own shop sucessfully until I retired.
Check out Brownells, The worlds largest Gunsmith Supply. World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells They have a complete list of Gunsmith Schools in the back of their catalog. Call or go online to them. They will help you find a real Gunsmith school, usually at an accredited school. I know of schools in Oklahoma, Colorado, Arizona, NC or SC, Penn., Minnesota, at least. These are established, hands on schools with fine reputations which will help if looking for work or opening a shop.Here comes a list of some major ones;

Aspiring gunsmiths should earn a gunsmithing certificate from a technical, trade or community college. Gunsmithing certificate programs typically offer a four-semester curriculum with hands-on training in metal milling, operating machines, optics calibration, firearm cleaning and gun repair. Most gunsmith professionals are self-employed, however, job opportunities are also available through gun manufacturers, recreation stores and rifle clubs.

Colorado School of Trades
In operation since 1947, the Colorado School of Trades gunsmithing program is an 1,800-hour curriculum that can be completed in about 14 months. Approximately 1,500 hours of the program are lab-based, while the remaining 300 hours consist of classroom instruction. The program is organized into four main learning areas: basic courses, machine shop courses, stockmaking courses, and design and function courses. Students take classes like shop math, drill press operation, welding, engine lathe, ballistic handloading, stockmaking, trigger assemblies and business training. The Colorado School of Trades offers career placement assistance services for gunsmithing program graduates.

1575 Hoyt Street

Lakewood, CO 80215

800-234-4594

schooloftrades.com

Lassen Community College
The gunsmithing program at Lassen Community College began in 1945 as a community services and now offers two degree and four certificate programs. The two-year degree programs are: an associate degree in firearms repair and an associate degree in general gunsmithing. The certificate options include: a certificate in gunsmith machinist and metal finishing, a certificate in long guns, a certificate of in pistolsmith, and a certificate in riflesmith. The certificate course of study varies in length by program areas. According to Universities.com, the gunsmithing programs at the community college include course work in firearm function, design and repair; firearm laws and regulations; and skills like metallurgy, welding, machining and stock fabrication.

Lassen Community College

478-200 Hwy 139

Susanville, CA 96130

530-257-4211

lassencollege.edu

Montgomery Community College
Montgomery Community College offers three gunsmithing options: a 76-credit associate's degree, a 42-credit diploma or a 12-18-credit certificate. There are four certificate options, including basic gunsmithing, design and repair, technology and refinishing. The gunsmithing curriculum, which is a combination of hands-on and classroom learning, equips students to refurbish firearms, evaluate and repair malfunctions, restore firearms and provide customized firearms services.

1011 Page Street

Troy, NC 27371

800-839-6222

montgomery.edu

Murray State College
The gunsmithing curriculum at Murray State College is a two-year associate degree program. Students acquire skills and knowledge for gun repair and custom gunsmithing skills. The curriculum involves 76 hours of classroom and lab courses, such as firearms design, metal work, stockmaking, gun bluing, firearm repair, conversion of firearms, business math and gun store management.

Murray State College

One Murray Campus

Tishomingo, OK 73460

580-371-2371

mscok.edu

Pennsylvania Gunsmith School
The Pennsylvania Gunsmith School offers a concentrated master gunsmithing program that students may complete in about 16 months. The program is based on hands-on learning in a shop setting. Students learn skills like metallurgy, filing and gauging techniques, hack sawing, firearm terminology, bluing techniques, trigger work, stock design, welding, barrel fitting, ballistics, custom alterations and gunsmith business operations.

812 Ohio River Blvd.

Pittsburgh, PA 15202

412-766-1812

pagunsmith.edu

Pine Technical Institute
Gunsmithing students at Pine Technical Institute have the option of a 26-credit certificate program or a 42-credit diploma program. The certificate program includes courses like metal fusion, handgun theory, accessories installation, ATF regulations, hinge and lever, pump and self loader, and metallurgy and bolt action. The diploma curriculum features more advanced classes, such as tool design and fabrication, bluing, metalsmithing, machining fundamentals, barrel and chambering, shotgun smithing, riflesmithing and stockmaking.

Pine Technical Institute

900 4th Street

Pine City, MN 55063

800-521-7463

pinetech.edu

Yavapai College
Yavapai College offers a 31-credit gunsmithing certificate program or a 64-credit gunsmithing associate degree. Both programs include coursework in stockmaking, machine shop, rifle theory, metal refinishing, shotguns, handguns, rifle rebarreling and advanced machining. The programs include hands-on training in gun shop environments, as well as traditional classroom instruction. The degree program offers additional classes in small business management and master gunsmithing.

Yavapai College

1100 East Sheldon Street

Prescott, AZ 86301

520-776-2150

gunsmithing.org

Read more: List of Gunsmithing Schools | eHow.com List of Gunsmithing Schools | eHow.com

Old 12-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #9

Default another List of GS Schools

This is from Brownell's.............................
1575 Hoyt Street
Lakewood, CO 80215
Phone: 303-233-4697 ext. 42
Email: gary@schooloftrades.com
Lassen Community College
478-200 Hwy 139
Susanville, CA 96130
Phone: 530-251-8800
Email: staylor@lassencollege.edu
Modern Gun School
80 North Main Street
P.O. Box 846
St. Albans, VT 05478
Phone: 800-493-4114
Email: janieg@dlilearn.com
1011 Page Street
P.O. Box 787
Troy, NC 27371
Phone: 910-576-6222 ext. 234
Email: bernauerw@montgomery.edu
Murray State College
One Murray Campus
Tishomingo, OK 73460
Phone: 580-371-2371 ext. 235
Email: darnold@mscok.edu
812 Ohio River Blvd.
Avalon, PA 15202
Phone: 412-766-1812
Email: bob.thacker@pagunsmith.edu
Piedmont Community College
1715 College Drive
P.O. Box 1197
Roxboro, NC 27573
Phone: 336-599-1181 ext.244
Email: erdnerp@piedmontcc.edu
Pine Technical Institute
900 4th St. S.E.
Pine City, MN 55063
Phone: 320-629-5157
Email: Defenbaughd@pinetech.edu
Sonoran Desert Institute
10245 East Via Linda, Suite 110
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
Phone: 480-314-2102 Ext. 201
Email: info@sonoranlearning.com
Trinidad State Jr. College
600 Prospect
Trinidad, CO 81082
Phone: 719-846- 5577
Email: keith.gipson@trinidadstate.edu
Yavapai College
1100 East Sheldon Street
Prescott, AZ 86301
Phone: 928-776-2348
Email: alan_lohr@yc.edu

I personally can learn by reading about it. Many folks need Hands On with an Instructor at hand. No by mail course will give you the hours on a Mill & Lathe or Welding or Stock Making or the many skills that make up a Gunsmiths stock in trade. I can make a Rifle without buying any part except the barrel which I am too lazy to make. I had instructors with years in the trade. One apprenticed at Holland & Holland and worked the trade in Africa. Another had 30 years military including building snipper rifles for the military. Another operated his own shop for years. We started the Hands On work learning to make & temper our own tools from which I learned to make and temper Flat Springs used in older guns and some high end European Guns. Only 1 of the multitude of skills I am glad to have learned at TSJC.

Check out all offers before chosing Gunsmithing education. I am absolutely glad that I chose a real Hands On Gunsmithing School to learn some of the many skills I needed. Ed H

Last edited by pfatz; 12-04-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typing errors

Old 12-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #10

Default Gunsmith Schools

I should make clear, the amount of instruction a student receives in a structured School setting is Credit hours where the above information may state 46 hours for a certificate or 75 hours for an Associates Degree, those are Credit Hours. Clock hours may be 40 hours or so per week of class work spread over a semester of school time to count as a specific Credit(s) as in any advanced educational instituition.

All well worth your time to learn a serious very skilled trade. EdH