Parkerizing? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Parkerizing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I ordered a trigger from Huber Concepts today and I just ordered two cans of matte black Aluma Hyde II and the TCE cleaner from Brownells.

Since I figure I'm almost as skilled as a half blind, untrained monkey, I'm going to do this one myself. However, I will rely on your good nature and expertise to complete it properly.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #22
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I would say I have your back, but......

Patience is the key. We are here to help.
Good luck!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #23

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Don, the key to getting the "flattest" finish out of the flat black is to hold the can away from the surface and allow the paint to "dust" onto the surface.

The flat black AH2 is a bit shinier than I like, but the more you shake it up the better it does. Sounds like Dan's experience with the Duracoat.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm excited about doing it. The trigger looks to be a simple change out, but setting it up correctly may take some time.

I'm a pretty fair painter, so I think that aspect should go fairly well.

Fitting the stock will be fun. I want to free float the barrel and have the receiver bedded well. Do I make sure the barrel completely floats right up to the receiver, or do I bed the first inch or two of the barrel?

M14's did you use Acryglass or some other stuff to bed your M1917 receiver? Or did it fit well right from the factory and wasn't necessary?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm excited about doing it. The trigger looks to be a simple change out, but setting it up correctly may take some time.

Fitting the stock will be fun. I want to free float the barrel and have the receiver bedded well. Do I make sure the barrel completely floats right up to the receiver, or do I bed the first inch or two of the barrel?

M14's did you use Acryglass or some other stuff to bed your M1917 receiver? Or did it fit well right from the factory and wasn't necessary?
I cheated, Don. My 1917 in the B&C stock dropped in, and I was going to the range the next day so took it along. It turned in group after group in the MOA-ish range. Some smaller, some larger, but none by much. It has a sewer pipe for a barrel and a left over B&L Elite 3200 (yes, lapped and torqued) from another trade and it flat out delivered. So I never ended up bedding it at all. But I got lucky.

If I was doing one of the other two 1917's, I would bed them. Actually, these two have had the stocks swapped and will be getting bedded when some spare time shows up. I prefer steel bed to accraglass, but it is not as pretty.

Bedding is funny though. Some barrels like to be free floated all the way to the action, but others need a bit of pressure under the barrel in the forend. I would start by floating all the way, and then test it. If it was lacking in the accuracy dept, the bbl channel would get some bedding at least to the end of the chamber. If that did not cut it, it would get some shims to see where and how much pressure the bbl needed. Then it would get a blob of steel bed, or (don't laugh) JB Weld in that spot to apply the correct tension.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #26

Quote:

One more thing...My friend who has the Savage 12FVSS
in .308 bought another B&C stock, and begged me to install it (he is truly feeble) for him. I went to his house with all the goodies and his rifle dropped into the stock perfectly, too. Knowing he would never really use the rifle past a couple hundred yards we torqued it down and went to the range. It has an IOR 6-24 (lapped and torqued) and with BHM 175 will drill dime sized groups. He surprised us all by shooting out to 600 and making consistent hits. Now I'm the one telling him we need to bed it, because I want to see how tight it will go. Then we will work up a good load and he will be done.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sweet. Maybe I'll get lucky on the fit. It's really a pretty accurate rifle for my purposes and for my skill with it. But I'll be excited to see the improvement. ( hopefully )

Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Sweet. Maybe I'll get lucky on the fit. It's really a pretty accurate rifle for my purposes and for my skill with it. But I'll be excited to see the improvement. ( hopefully )
It will be good enough to give you an idea. And the new trigger will be really nice.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 08-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Now I'm waiting for the big brown truck.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just got an email from Brownell's. They can't ship the TCE to California. Unbelievable!

Can I get by with Brake Kleen to degrease?