Para P45... two questions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Para P45... two questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Para P12/45... two questions

I have a Para Ordinance P12/45, one thing that bugs me is it ejects shells all over the place with a significant percentage coming back and hitting me! what can I do to fix this?

second, I ordered a new recoil spring and replaced it, but it came with a firing pin spring, how do I disassemble the slide pieces to change it?

Thank You

Last edited by upersleder; 09-28-2011 at 01:50 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2875 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Does that have the internal extractor? Sounds like that needs a little adjusting.

The para slide is very close to the Colt Series 80 with the firing pin plunger. The first time you replace the spring, you will need 4 hands.

If your experience is limited on the 1911, I would suggest that you get with a neighborhood gunsmith. Adjusting the extractor and replacing the firing pin spring require that the slide be taken apart. A couple of bucks to the smith may well be worth it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2875 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

The extractor will get out of tune if you do not load the 1911 correctly.
It is made to feed from a mag. If you force the extractor to go over the rim of the casing, then it loses some tune.

Always feed it from a mag (even if you have "the last bullet" from the box).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Have you tried firing it with the new recoil spring installed ?

I bought a P13 lightweight in 94' and had the same exact issue with it out of the box.
Tuned the extractor, no change. Replaced the ejector and extractor, no real change.
What solved it on my gun was a stronger recoil spring.
Haven't had an issue with the gun since, although within a year just about everything but the frame, slide and grips were upgraded to Ed Brown and Wilson parts.

Also be sure to replace the magazine springs from time to time, especially if it develops feeding issues.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #5

I have changed the slide spring and it solved my feeding issues. but the casings still come at me......did I mention they are hot?