Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Painting front sight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Painting front sight

I qualified today for my CCH and while on the range I noticed the background and sight were very similar in color. If I were to put a drop of paint on the front sight sight is that OK? It is a Taurus 650 .357. Would using a marker be better than paint?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Have you considered night sights?

We had a few bolos in the Army that would use charcoal or Sharpies on their sights to reduce glare.

I've used Whiteout on the front sight of .22s before when doing a lot of shooting on silhouettes.

I'd recommend trying a few things and doing whatever works best for you. If the ol' lady has red nail polish laying around the house, slap it on there and see what it does for you.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:56 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

check out cabelas they have some sight paints that glo in the dark also bright colored paints for day time

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i was going to say replace at least the front with a tritium sight. Then i went back and read what gun you have...painting may be your best option

good luck with it

Old 11-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've painted front sights often. I've used a permanent marker (temp field fix for someone else), a white paint marker and white nail polish.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #6

Liked 7547 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Cheap quick fix? Visit the model airplane section of drugstore- get a bottle of airplane paint (about $2) bright orange is about as visible as anything. Yeah, night sights are nice- and pricy.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:50 AM   #7

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Who cares what it looks like? You have to see the front sight. As in: Front sight press.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

when i had my rossi 357 with a 2" barrel what i did was took white out and used as a primer then used a red highlighter for the color, just an idea

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you