Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Online 'smithing courses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Online 'smithing courses

When you're pressed for time and there aren't a lot of local options, are any of the online gunsmith courses worth anything? This is for general maintenance and repair...how to headspace a barrel, for instance. I'm not looking for anything too esoteric. You know, stuff more advanced than assembling an AR lpk and less advanced than designing and milling your own custom receiver....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #2

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

If you can give me a year from January 2010, Ill let ya know. lol. Iv been looking into these online courses from placces like Ashworth and my favorite, Pennfoster. My biggest concern is the fact that gunsmithing is a extremly hands on hobby/carrer. It bothers me that Ill be learning parts of that trade with little to no hands on learning. Im also interested in hearing oppinions on this subject!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #3

I've never taken an online 'smithing course but did take a correspondence course. It will give you a large part of the theory of the various operations but none of the hands on, as you know. The other thing that it will lack is the ability to teach you how to diagnose problems on customer guns. I'm not familiar with other schools but at Colorado School of Trades, the students work on at least 35 guns. They will do everything from simple cleanings to custom rifles and pistols. The majority of the work, though, is diagnosing and repairing all types of guns.

Two years after taking the correspondence course, I moved to Denver so I could go the CST. That was back in '97 and I've been "in the business" since then. There are quite a some very good gunsmiths out there that are self taught but most people are better off attending one of the many brick and mortar schools.

Just my opinion.

David Clevinger
www.dcengraving.com

Old 10-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #4

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Online gunsmithing courses are worthless. Learning the trade requires a whole lot of hands-on work. You must either attend a school or apprentice under an established or master gunsmith. There is also the School of Hard Knocks. This school requires several books and years of self taught hands on, hopefully using most of your own guns.

Jim...................

Last edited by masterPsmith; 10-16-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Online gunsmithing courses are worthless. Learning the trade requires a whole lot of hands-on work. You must either attend a school or apprentice under a an established or master gunsmith. There is also the School of Hard Knocks. This school requires several books and years of self taught hands on, hopefully using most of your own guns.

Jim...................
No doubt that's true if you want to get into the business and really learn the intricacies. There's no substitute for being with someone who knows what they're doing and getting your hands dirty. But that's not me. Not right now.

I'm looking for either an online course or DVD that will show and describe how to do stuff that is maybe somewhat advanced for the average gun owner and probably mundane to a proper gunsmith, like modifying the pull on a trigger, or headspacing a barrel, like I mentioned before. Any suggestions are welcome!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I havn't reviewed them so I can't determine their usefullness but I've heard the AGI armorer's courses are worth looking into. They're specialized for each particular type of firearm that is featured on the cd. Jim is totally correct if you want to be a full fledged gunsmith.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #7

I took online gunsmithing with pennfoster, their materials pretty.....outdated. But they actually had a whole lesson on 1911 and customizing which wasnt so bad. Only prob is no hands on training, unless you have your own that you wouldnt mind fiddling with. I used some of my uncles so it helped with the learning.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #8

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Thanks everyone, this more or less answered my questions in reguardss to the online schooling.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'v had good luck with Ashworth and A.I.G.dvds, But I also have extincive knowlage in milling and using a lath.
F.K.