Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > old Taurus model 82

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default old Taurus model 82

I inherited an older model 82 from my greataunt. The timing is off and the cylinder doesn't line up with the bore. Taurus doesn't warranty this firearm due to date of purchase and import.
I took the gun to the one gunsmith in town and he was more worried about telling me how poor of quality the gun is than helping me fix the problem. I served 8 years in the Marines, the first 4 as a 2111 ( twenty one illiterate) small arms repair tech, and the last four as a 2112, precision weapons repair tech. I am more than confident I can fix the problem my self, I just need advice on what parts and where to order them from. I tried brownells and they don't seem to have Taurus parts.
I appreciate any help and look forward to getting the firearm functioning again. It is kind of a family heirloom, because this is supposedly the same pistol she downed a home intruder with less than a year after her husband's passing. Not quite one shot one kill, but one shot, a painful ride to the hospital, and one long stay at the state pen works just as good state side! Thanks for the help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #2

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I've been looking into getting one for myself but can't seem to find any around me. Try this link, has a schematic and parts available..

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Taurus-33525/Revolvers-42264/MediumFrame-38365/82-37367.htm

Scott

Old 05-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Check the cylinder stop (the nub that comes up when hammer is at full cock).

Does the cylinder go completely to the stop? With finger tips, apply a little pressure to cylinder while cocking. After hammer is cocked, see if cylinder will continue to rotate and lock. If it does, then suspect the "pawl" (or cylinder "cogs") are wearing and may need replacement.

Keep us informed of you progress!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you both for the info. As soon as I get the time to get it out and work it over I will repost on the progress. Thanks again!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8623 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Yep- as said- cock SLOWLY- and if it not reaching the cylinder stop, problem is in the mechanism that turns the cylinder.

Two main parts- the "star" on the rear face of the cylinder, and the hand- little widget that comes out and pokes against the star when you cock the revolver.

If either one wears, it is no longer the correct length to push the cylinder to the stopping point.

Typical fix is to replace either/ both, depending on wear. It MAY be possible to remove a hand, and "dress" it with a hammer back to original shape/ length- but frankly, that is very temporary in nature.

Bad news- Numrich has very few parts for an 82. Outlook not real good- sorry.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #6

Default Old Taurus Model 82

I've had one in the shop for over 6mo's that a dealer bought in a batch. simple problem, but no parts can be found. Same with the old improted Rossi's
after I gt the shop that has this taurus to spring for me making the part another one will not cross my threshold

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerman770 View Post
I've had one in the shop for over 6mo's that a dealer bought in a batch. simple problem, but no parts can be found. Same with the old improted Rossi's
after I gt the shop that has this taurus to spring for me making the part another one will not cross my threshold
More than once I have had to make parts for obsolete firearms. It is not a task I enjoy.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I found another model 82 with substantial surface rust that I picked up for $80... A good cleaning of the extractor and hammer assembly, then a quick swap of parts and I had a functioning turd! Such a low end firearm but I love where it came from, and the challenge I had finding the parts and fighting with gunsmith opinions... Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorp View Post
I found another model 82 with substantial surface rust that I picked up for $80... A good cleaning of the extractor and hammer assembly, then a quick swap of parts and I had a functioning turd! Such a low end firearm but I love where it came from, and the challenge I had finding the parts and fighting with gunsmith opinions... Thanks again everyone!
Have ya got an extra centerpin?(the axle the cylinder rotates on)
if yo do email me the price at
sarinc@bellsouth.net

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for the delay... I do not have an extra cylinder pin... I sold the remaining parts to the gunsmith that originally told me the gun wasn't worth fixing...but I will keep my eyes peeled