old Smith & Wesson - needs repair - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > old Smith & Wesson - needs repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3100 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Northman, Here is a quick check I would like you to do.

Unloaded, cocked, inverted so grip is up.
Try to rotate cylinder and see if cylinder stop catches.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #12

Well I finally had a look at the handgun. The hammer will not remain in the cocked position so I have to keep my thumb on the hammer. Every time I pull back the hammer the cylinder will rotate and if I spin the cylinder it can move freely and I can hear the clicking sound as it spins. So I will have to look closely at the diagram I was sent. Any suggestions ? Tim

Old 04-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #13

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The S&W Number 3 large frame revolver has a cylinder safety. It has conventional cylinder lock slots. It also has elongated slots ahead of the cylinder latch slots.
When the action is closed the gun goes into an automatic safety mode. The cylinder will turn freely in the elongated slots not aligning with the hammer. When the hammer is cocked the safety releases and the cylinder should lock each time the gun is cocked.
This applys to the New Model Dbl. Action only.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3100 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Well I finally had a look at the handgun. The hammer will not remain in the cocked position so I have to keep my thumb on the hammer. Every time I pull back the hammer the cylinder will rotate and if I spin the cylinder it can move freely and I can hear the clicking sound as it spins. So I will have to look closely at the diagram I was sent. Any suggestions ? Tim
The clicking sound is normal. That is the pawl on the the ratchet area of the cylinder. And if the cylinder lock does not engage, the cylinder will rotate.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #15

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

The last top break I worked on had some stuff caked it by the cylinder stop which prevented anything from working right. We can try to diagnose a problem from description only but AR some point it will have to come apart. Sounds to me like a cylinder stop spring after a good look at the diagram. You could try cocking the hammer and while cocked hold the trigger forward, hammer should stay back.

I'm not a professional gunsmith, I love figuring out problems and I buy broken guns and fix them. If you aren't comfortable taking it apart take it to a professional, it is easy to make these old guns into junk if you aren't careful. Stay safe and never assume a gun is unloaded.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just a suggestion, try Pisco gunsmithing in Oregon. They are very good at gun repairs. Bob has worked on guns for around 50 years. The phone #541-396-5558.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #17

Thanks allot to everyone for their ideas. I will let you all know how I make out. To pull the hammer back does take a bit of effort but it will not stay cocked. Pulling the hammer back will rotate the cylinder though.