Old loaded black powder long gun

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Old loaded black powder long gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1134 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Default Old loaded black powder long gun

Make a very long story short I am holding ransom several guns from a family member for a family member . One is a cabelas muzzle loader and the ram rod stops short about 2 inches+/- from home run . What would be the best route to unload this puppy ? Oil down the barrel with a puff of air thru the primer hole ? I saw that done on sons of guns but you cant believe everything on tv . Im wondering if oil will seep thru to wet the powder ? I had a seal guy tell me they used brake fluid to disarm things like this as it does not react to most powders . It has not been fired in 10 years so who knows what condition the powder , ball and bore is in . Looking for safety and least amount of damage to the gun incase they have to be returned .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Couple of ways to safely unload a muzzleloader. ASSUMING that this is a caplock, not a flintlock- there is a device called a CO2 discharger. It replaces the nipple, and uses a 12 gram CO2 cartridge to safely push the ball and powder out- then wash out the bore with hot soapy water.

It may also be possible to replace the nipple with a Zerk grease fitting- check the threads to be sure they are compatible- then use a grease gun to pump the bullet out. This DOES have the disadvantage of leaving the bore filled with grease, but most of that can be removed with a heat lamp and muzzle down for a few hours.

There is also the bullet puller for a ramrod- goes on end of ramrod, looks like a coarse thread wood screw. Is turned into the bullet, grabbing it, allowing you to pull bullet out with ramrod. DO NOT HAVE ANY PART OF YOUR BODY IN LINE WITH THE BORE. This works sometimes, You generally get one try with this- if it pulls out of the bullet, it strips out, and you cannot get another good bite.

I would not try shooting it out. Would avoid pouring oil etc into barrel.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #3

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

c3shooter listed the common(safer) ways to remove the ball/bullet. I would not fill the bore with oil but I would run an oily patch down the bore before I tried to remove the bullet by any means. Water in the "primer hole" should temporarily render the powder safer. Compressed air is sometimes used to eject a ball/bullet BUT it must be pointed in a very safe direction as you are in effect making a powerful airgun. I am not suggesting that you do this, I am only stating that it has been done in the past.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

I made a very bad mistake on a remmy speedmaster that had been sitting for many years . it looked very clean so i put a few rounds in it and all you heard was the cutest lil pop . Dirt wasp had built a nest about 5 inches down the barrel , bullet and dirt are still in there , I have ruined many brass rods trying to hammer that mess out but its still there.

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Want to hear the REALLY bad news on your Speedmaster? Place a thumb and forefinger on either side of barrel, and lightly run them back and forth from breech to muzzle.

Odds are, you will feel the bulge where the bullet hit the obstruction. The bulge- a permanent deformation of the steel, was caused by the AIR ahead of the bullet compressing, until the pressure was enough to make the steel bulge out.

Good news- a decent gunsmith can remove that stuck bullet. Bad news- can't remove the bulge.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #6

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Want to hear the REALLY bad news on your Speedmaster? Place a thumb and forefinger on either side of barrel, and lightly run them back and forth from breech to muzzle.

Odds are, you will feel the bulge where the bullet hit the obstruction. The bulge- a permanent deformation of the steel, was caused by the AIR ahead of the bullet compressing, until the pressure was enough to make the steel bulge out.

Good news- a decent gunsmith can remove that stuck bullet. Bad news- can't remove the bulge.
Good news is the bulge probably wont make the slightest difference in the way it shoots.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 08-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Good news is the bulge probably wont make the slightest difference in the way it shoots.
Hahahahahaha you mean if it shoots without jamming

Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #8

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default They make a ball puller

There are ball pullers made just for muzzle loaders soft lead projectiles, its basicly a wood screw threaded in the end of a steel cleaning rod, lube up the dry barrel to help coax out the projectile.

Amazon.com: Traditions Performance Firearms Muzzleloader Ball/Bullet Puller .45 - .54, 10/32 threads: Sports & Outdoors

Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 AM   #9

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Hahahahahaha you mean if it shoots without jamming
Why would it? Unless it was jamming before.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #10

I felt dangerous and found some caps tied it down , put a pull string , took cover and it fired . I lubed it up a bit before but its out now and cleaned up .