Old jap ariska

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Old jap ariska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Default Old jap ariska

I just picked up an ariska , only number to be found is a 21 stamped here and there , no other marking whatsoever . We narrowed it down to a type 38 but it wont fire . when i remove the bolt the take the bolt apart it only has one long spring on the rear of the firing pin , nothing up front . it all seems to be there but it just wont fire it. its like the trigger wont move or its bound up . it moves nice once the bolt is out . Im not a huge fan of this gun but it was lonley so i took it in . what round does this take , would you even shoot it , is any one familiar with the workings of one ?

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9153 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

The Type 38 Arisaka was is caliber 6.5mm.

Here is everything you wanted to know, including how to disassemble rifle AND the bolt.

Collecting and Shooting the Arisaka Type 38 Rifle

These were VERY strong actions, but some of the rifles produced right at the end of the war were, well......... shoddy comes to mind. On top of the chamber may (or may not) be a stylized chrysanthemum bloom- or marks where it was ground off. Rifles CAPTURED in combat will have them intact, rifles SURRENDERED at the end of the war had them ground off (honor of the Emperor) and are worth less to collectors.

Many were converted to other calibers after the way by GIs- have a smith check it over before shooting ANYTHING in it- may need to use Cerro-Safe and make a chamber casting to be sure.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #3

hmm i have all the parts for the bolt , we pondered if the gun were a middle east knockoff , due to the lack of stamps and numbers , i will post some pics for some opinions

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #4

Liked 748 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Cant wait to see it.... I just got a type 99 Arisaka not too long ago....
The Sn# should be on left side of the receiver, along with the series and arsenal stamp. The site C3 gave is the one i used....

Last edited by Trez; 05-04-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: left out

Old 05-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #5

figured out my issue with it not firing , if you remove the bolt , look in front of the sear @ the bottom of the breech , '' between the trigger and mag well '' you will see a small pin that comes up when the trigger is pulled . now if you look on the bottom of the bolt you will see a oblong slot for this pin to rise into . On mine the pin will not rise into the hole unless you hit the bolt forward really hard , its not a numbers matching gun so i just took the dremel and opened the slot up just a tiny bit and it works fine . Now i just need to find the obsolete rounds for it , grow some bigger balls and fire it . I think it takes a 6.5 somthing , i saw a pic of the round and its kinda funky looking

Old 05-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9153 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

Mobile- did you click on the underlined link I sent you? Includes info on the ammo.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If it is still chambered in the original round it is a 6.5x50mm

Norma Ammunition 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka 156 Grain Alaska Round Nose Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

just a word of caution....if it is a type 38 then be sure it is still chambered in 6.5x50mm. In the years following WWII, finding 6.5x50 Jap ammo was difficult or downright impossible....so it was common to rechamber the type 38 to what was called the 6.5x257Roberts. This is just a 257 Roberts necked up to 6.5/264. You can also rechamber the type 38 to the 6.5x55 Swede too. I have one type 38 in 6.5x257R and another in 6.5x55 Swede. Both still have the original 6.5 military barrel and were just rechambered.