oil bluing

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > oil bluing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default oil bluing

Does anyone have an experience with this, pro's con's? I'm wanting to do a mosin bolt with this process but I'm planning on running a dozen test pieces first. It's just seems like the easier and simpliest method for bluing.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Getting the piece to the correct temperature evenly is important.
Not the word "evenly". Some areas of a bolt are thicker than other areas and will require a little more to heat up and by the time they do, the thinner areas are too hot.

If heated unevenly, the oil will not have the same color in different areas.

Try a metal rod, like rebar, first.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #3

I would like the colors to look "even" but really the thing that stops me from taking my Mosin camping with me is the steel bolt I don't want it to rust. I found this Brownells Oxpo Blue but right now I don't have the money to put torwards it, but I do have a few things of oil and a nice blow torch, I've got a bunch of scrape and a few different cheap knives I want to try it out before I get to into it just to run a few test with it.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I've done this hundreds of times with small parts but never with a large piece(like a bolt). Aren't you afraid of ruining the temper of the bolt?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #5

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Uncle bear, I've taken my mosin hunting in the rain. If your rifle is clean and already well lubed, you shouldn't have any problem.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Im going to say slather the bolt with a light coat of mobil 1 synthetic and it should be fine even if it gets wet
I have done a few large pieces with the hot oil rub dunk / dunk and they never come out the same color , I think a guy would need a forge to get the temp regulated the same all the way thru the bolt to get the came color when oil dunked

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-17-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #7

usually when I go camping it's for a few day and I forget my gun cleaning supplies a lot... I'm not really worried about ruining the bolt I have my original mosin then I have this one I'm keeping my first original this one is modded alot. I might just wait till I get my tax's back and throw down some money on the brownells bluing solution any thought about that (the chemical)

BE PREPARED

Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Bluing is a form of oxididation (like rust is an oxide).

Keep a can of WD-40 (Water Displacement formula, 40th attempt). It should protect enough until you get home (and there is always the engine oil from the transportation you used).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I might be a bit late with this bit here is my 2bits. I have a Mosin Nagant as well, I used Oxpho blue on my bolt. I only use oil bluing for small parts as they are easier to heat evenly. The cold blue is easy to touch up as needed too. My other MN I just keep well oiled and have no issues.