noticed a problem today
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > noticed a problem today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default noticed a problem today

I was out at the range shooting today and noticed that it would jam on the last round in the magazine. I've read its usually a problem with the magazine spring.
I took out the springs and stretched them to increase the tension but really don't know if that was the correct thing to do. Any other information would help alot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3394 Times on 1943 Posts
Likes Given: 1461

Stretching the spring will not fix the problem.

What firearm? Does it do it with all magazines? Are the magazine followers in good shape? When was the firearm recoil spring changed? Does the magazine have a small crack in a rear corner?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The gun is the older amt backup 45. The magazine follower is in good shape. I'm starting to think it was the semi wad cutters that I had shot. These particular models
seem to like FMJ ammo. I had FMJ with every other one a wad cutter. I think that's what probably caused the problem.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3394 Times on 1943 Posts
Likes Given: 1461

You found out why it is not a good idea to mix ammo. If you have problems, then, by keeping the same ammo together, you can quickly identify if the ammo is giving the problem.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but with the new people who read the posts, it is advisable to provide as much information as possible.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I agree 100% with you. Thankyou for the reply. Next time I'm at the range I'm sticking with the recommended FMJ. I learned something new, its not a good ideal to mix different types of ammo together.