Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Night Sights for Kimber 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Night Sights for Kimber 1911

I just traded a XD .45 for a Kimber Ultra Crimmson Carry in same cal (see post in other thread). I want to install trigium night sights. I have done this several times on long guns, but never on hand guns. Is this a project that I can tackle myself with the propper tools?, Or should I seek professional help?

"Here I Stand. I Can Do No Other. God Help Me. Amen."
Martin Luther, Diet of Worms, 1521

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What's you experience level? Really if you're asking the question, you're probably better off having someone else do it for you. It isn't a very expensive job, but without properly aligned sights, a gun is useless. Some might even tell you that it is unsafe.

A few years back I called Wilson about a set of their Combat Pyramid 2 colors and the quoted me something like $130 for the sights, installation and return shipping.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If you have the proper gear, it's not hard. The common horror story is the guy who is "tapping" a bit to hard on the sight to get it into place with a punch and splits the plastic, then you are out the price of another sight, at the least.

It's not rocket science, so if you are comfortable tackling the job, by all means saddle up. However, as Matt pointed out, several places will install the sights for you, guaranteed, for not a hell of a lot more money than it will cost you to order them in and your time to do the job yourself.

JD

Old 10-18-2008, 03:52 AM   #4

I don't Know if Kimber uses their own cut or not , I think they do , but MMC has Night Sights listed specifically for them for only $69 and adjustables for $117 I called them last year when thinking about getting them for a gun and installation is only $15 and all you need to send them is your slide .

www.mmcsight.com/tritium.htm

If you opt to install them yourself I have a Wilson 1911 video and in it they suggest you use a Piece of wood like a shim or a dowel to push them on the slide so you don't damage the gun or sight and lessen the chance of breaking the tritium vial .

Personally for trigger jobs and sight work I pay the money and let the guy who has done it a thousand times do it .

Old 10-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #5

Thanks for info. All of gun smithing exp has been on long guns, so far. Like you say, it ain't hard, but ain't to muck up either. One slip of the punch and tritium everywhere How does the MMC brand compare to Trijicon and others? The price seem to be right at $70.00, and a Lifetime warranty to boot.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #6

I don't know as I decided to hold off and instead tried luminescent paint on the front sight as my sights on the gun are well regulated , it actually works well for a house gun if you keep a very bright light with the gun as I do .
Hit the painted sight for a few seconds with a 80 Lumen light and it glows for several "15 +" minutes .

I know MMC has been around a long time as I remember adds in Gun & Ammo going back to the early 80's .

As far as the quality of the Tritium Vials , being as it is honest to God radioactive material I would bet those things are made by maybe 2-3 companies and they sell them to the sight companies for installation in their products .

Old 10-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff View Post
Thanks for info. All of gun smithing exp has been on long guns, so far. Like you say, it ain't hard, but ain't to muck up either. One slip of the punch and tritium everywhere How does the MMC brand compare to Trijicon and others? The price seem to be right at $70.00, and a Lifetime warranty to boot.
You get what you pay for. I don't know if it matters to you or not, but Kimber owns Meprolight these days.

I'd pick up a set of these in 2 color: http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/product.php?xProd=257&xSec=15

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 10-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #8

Yeah, I have seen those. I can only find the 'green on green' for the Kimber, though. Would perfer the green front/yellow or orange rear, for sure. MMC has those on their web site, but not Meprolight.

Last edited by Dustoff; 10-19-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-20-2008, 05:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff View Post
Yeah, I have seen those. I can only find the 'green on green' for the Kimber, though. Would perfer the green front/yellow or orange rear, for sure. MMC has those on their web site, but not Meprolight.
Trijicon makes good stuff too. http://www.trijicon-inc.com/User/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=434&back_row=8&categoryID=7

Don't worry about radioactivity, tritium won't even make a Geiger Counter tick.

Roger Waters

Old 10-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post

Yes but matt those are a 3 Dot same color "Green" arrangement that there are claims of people "Including cops" managing to index the front sight off to the side when in defensive situation .

With MMC's adjustables he can opt for a Bar or a box Bar on the rear that will prevent that from happening .

Now I know O so many experts will claim adjustables are to delicate for "Duty" weapon but considering for decades many S&W and Colt revolvers rode in cops holsters serving rather well with adjustables I just don't buy it . After all lets get real , how often does your gun get dropped to even have a chance of the sights being damaged ?

Funny how in the days of adjustable sights on revolvers when a cop had to use his gun their hit percentage was much higher than it is now with Autos and Fixed so called combat sights .

You never heard of police unleashing a salvo of 60+ shots at a single standing still perp yet only managing to hit them a few times back in the day as we did just a few years ago up in NY City .

Perhaps the attitude of "Close enough" really isn't close enough when it comes to firing a gun to save your life ?