New tools on the way
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

New tools on the way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default New tools on the way

Just for kicks.

I ordered some dental picks and a ball & peen hammer (3oz). I needed a new, smaller hammer for more precise work. I also ordered some tekmat (870 and 1911 schematic mats) for decoration. I should have spent the money on more tools but at this point I have enough to start working on friend and family firearms. The mats will make a nice desk decoration!

Finally I ordered a Winchester screw driver set. The heads are specially made for smithing work. It is vital, not just in gun smithing, to use the proper head size when taking out flat head and phillips screws. Be a good craftsman and put effort into your work!!

Gonna also be more active in the gun smith forum to get some more experience and learn common problems of the popular guns (such as the S&W bodyguard .380 fiasco I had :P ).

If you have any suggestions for tools I need (I have a lot of my own from my construction and wood working job) feel free to leave them, I am all ears!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Last edited by molonlabexx; 05-06-2014 at 03:50 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just as important as using the right screwdriver is the size of punch you use. Not just the diameter of the punch but the length and style. There are many out there and you can make a lot of your own but a starter set would be an essential item to get started, in my opinion.

Also, a good bench vise mounted to a work bench that will not shake if you have to file or shape something.

Some other tools I use almost daily are: stones, parallel pliers, non-marring hammer, magnetic bowls.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #3

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Roll pin punches are very handy. Also, one of those hard plastic anvil things to put a part on when you hit it are also worth the small cost.

One of those Wheeler Fat Wrenches (?) for torquing screws is handy, too.

Sinclair's scope lapping tool is good, if you're going to be mounting scopes.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

I have all of the proper tools I need to do most everything I work on except a trigger scale. I finally bought one over the weekend . Its something I have always wanted and they arent expensive but by the time you throw shipping on one its way above MSRP . Local FFL had one OTD for $25

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

pin punches and roll pin punches as suggested.

maybe add in a trigger pull gauge. several rifles are offered with adjustable triggers these days from the factory and may aftermarket triggers are adjustable as well. hard to know what difference in the adjustment you made if you don't know here it began at.

a bore sighting tool of some type. saves lots of ammo in helping sight in a scope.

plastic or rubber mallet for smacking things that need to be moved without damaging them.

allen wrenches. both SAE and metric. lots of guns are using alle screws instead of slotted and phillips these days. lots of scopes are now using them along with Torx screws as well.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:58 AM   #6

Right now I am using a finishing nail punch with a piece of electric tape on it. Punches are just out of my budget for now, they are pricey online!

Also the freaking dead blow hammers are like $30 on ebay?! I was looking at them last night. I DON'T have a bench vice but I have the tipton gun vice which does everything I need of a bench vice.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Right now I am using a finishing nail punch with a piece of electric tape on it. Punches are just out of my budget for now, they are pricey online!

Also the freaking dead blow hammers are like $30 on ebay?! I was looking at them last night. I DON'T have a bench vice but I have the tipton gun vice which does everything I need of a bench vice.
let me give you some free advice from someone who has been buying and making their living with tools for over 35 years now. buy quality tools and cry once. buy inferior and you may cry several times. when the tool breaks and ruins something you are working on, or causes you pain from hurting you when it breaks.

if you look in my toolboxes at work and those i have at home, you find Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Craftsman, S-K, Cornwell and other top name brands. i have an extensive collection of tools and a huge investment that i have made so i can make my living with those tools. my income is dependent upon being able to get a job done and properly. i can't do that with cheap tools.

so if you plan on making a living doing this type of work, then you need to invest in quality tools to make that living. cheap won't pay the bills.
People Like This 
Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
let me give you some free advice from someone who has been buying and making their living with tools for over 35 years now. buy quality tools and cry once. buy inferior and you may cry several times. when the tool breaks and ruins something you are working on, or causes you pain from hurting you when it breaks.

if you look in my toolboxes at work and those i have at home, you find Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Craftsman, S-K, Cornwell and other top name brands. i have an extensive collection of tools and a huge investment that i have made so i can make my living with those tools. my income is dependent upon being able to get a job done and properly. i can't do that with cheap tools.

so if you plan on making a living doing this type of work, then you need to invest in quality tools to make that living. cheap won't pay the bills.
This is awesome advice! I TRY to buy the best. I totally agree that more expensive, higher quality tools, will be better in the long run. Great advice man!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
This is awesome advice! I TRY to buy the best. I totally agree that more expensive, higher quality tools, will be better in the long run. Great advice man!
i am a tool junky! several times in the past i was buying tools from several tool vendors. i have tools that have only been used a few times and now just take up space in my toolbox.

with the amount of tools i have, there is little i can't repair on my vehicles or around the house. i have bought many tools specifically for just working on my guns as well.

like i said, i'm a tool junky!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I also just set up a smithing shop in my basement. I bought a weaver hammer and punch set for like 25 bucks, also order a 42" foredom with a foot pedal, that thing gets used daily by me. I also ordered the Winchester screwdriver set. I will take a pic of my set up and show you in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk