Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > new taurus problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new taurus problems

I have a question concerning the taurus model85 lightweight.
I purchased oen a few months ago and took it out to shoot today.
The problem is that when i shot it , i could hardly remove the emptys.
A few rounds would just drop out as they should, but two in the cylinder were so tight that i needed to use a cleaning rod to push them out. a And i still had to almost pound them out.
Also the cylinder seems to want to bind up on that part of the cylinder when firing.
The gun is brand new and was first tried out with those results today.
Any info would be greatly welcomed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wha are you shooting??

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I echo Dune's comment as to what ammo you were shooting. I'll also ask if you cleaned and lubed this one before you took it out for it's first shoot. Binding cylinders are a pretty common issue with Taurus revolvers and the first thing I'd check is that the ejector rod has not worked loose...

Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only thing I can add is it sounds like you need to send it back to Taurus. If I tell you how to fix it and it's not something simple like the ejector rod backing out and you "mess it up" further-it voids the warranty. You need to take advantage of the lifetime warranty it sounds like. If the gun is right it should accept any .38s you decide to load it with.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The only thing I can add is it sounds like you need to send it back to Taurus. If I tell you how to fix it and it's not something simple like the ejector rod backing out and you "mess it up" further-it voids the warranty. You need to take advantage of the lifetime warranty it sounds like. If the gun is right it should accept any .38s you decide to load it with.

Damn.. Another Taurus bites the dust... I agree with Bear.. Your revolver should eat any ammo you feed it without issue. Unless you're running some hot hot reloads, you got a problem with the gun.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2599 Times on 1367 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Damn! Another bad Taurus story. And people wonder why they have a bad rep. Lifetime service is meaningless if the guns spends more of it's life getting serviced than getting shot.

I guess Taurus is run by the same AMF people that almost ran Harley Davidson into the ground in the 70's.

One thing to look at is...the charging holes in the cylinder should be dry, BONE DRY. Under the extractor star should be bone dry. Lube in either location can cause problems.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #7

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

I have the same gun and it gets shot regularly with NO issues. First time you've shot it and you've owned it for months? Did it sit and collect dust? Could be a faulty weapon, but could be back housekeeping...

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #8

Default condition before shooting

As for ammo used, I tried cci blazer, speer, and winchester.... all with the same results.
Yes gun was lubed and checked before shooting.And as for how long before shooting after purchase.... you must not live in the northeast.
Have been a shooter/ collector for most of my life,(58) and if my dad had even an inkling that I didn't prep my firearm, he'd rise from the grave and still kick my a##.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hycal View Post
As for ammo used, I tried cci blazer, speer, and winchester.... all with the same results.
Yes gun was lubed and checked before shooting.And as for how long before shooting after purchase.... you must not live in the northeast.
Have been a shooter/ collector for most of my life,(58) and if my dad had even an inkling that I didn't prep my firearm, he'd rise from the grave and still kick my a##.

Don't fret it Hycal... I've got tons of guns that have not made it out to the range for years and have never run into problems like you're having with this revolver. I still believe it's a bad actor from Taurus.. Every brand of ammo did the same thing it's not the ammo..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #10

Taurus has had a run of problems with cylinders cut on a taper. End result is that the cartridge cases bell out at the mouth as they are fire formed - and stick rather than eject. Even when you pound the empty brass out you can mike it and see that the mouth is oversized.

Send the gun and some fired brass back to Taurus, after going through the required "contact us first for permission to use the warranty". they'll try to make it right or offer you a replacement.

Wanna know how I know? BTDT & waiting for the brown truck of joy to return my toy.

stay safe.

skidmark