Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   New stock for Vanguard (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/new-stock-vanguard-104298/)

pearlonionx3 02-22-2014 02:30 AM

New stock for Vanguard

:)I'm about to trash the synthetic stock on a Vanguard short action 243 Winchester and restock with either a Boyds or Richards laminate wood stock. The project will include glass bedding and installation of a Timney trigger. Any feedback on your experiences with Boyds vs Richards products would be helpful. What say Y'all?

Axxe55 02-22-2014 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlonionx3 (Post 1512414)
:)I'm about to trash the synthetic stock on a Vanguard short action 243 Winchester and restock with either a Boyds or Richards laminate wood stock. The project will include glass bedding and installation of a Timney trigger. Any feedback on your experiences with Boyds vs Richards products would be helpful. What say Y'all?

i have never used the Richard's Microfit Stocks, but have visited their website a few times. now i do have two rifle currently that wear Boyd's laminated stocks and have to say, i am very much pleased with them. they fit well and only required minor trimming, (which is noted about their stocks) very well made and finished, and decently priced. and shipping was pretty quick as well.

Boyd's is a vendor here at FTF. check them out.

pearlonionx3 02-28-2014 01:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback Axxe55. I used a Boyd laminate stock on my last project, restocking a Savage 93R17. The inletting was accurate but excessive wood removal left the stock too weak for my liking. I had to do a significant amount of glass work to strengthen the action area before the actual bedding process. It was very time consuming and "testy" work that I would just as soon avoid with the Vanguard. The project turned out nice. Rifle looks good and accuracy is more than acceptable. I really would like to find someone that has used a Richards stock to see if their inletting leaves more wood and a stronger stock. The Vanguard I am about to work on is my truck gun and takes a real beating. Strength is important.

nulreference 02-28-2014 07:10 PM

richards from everything ive seen does a good inlet and a semi finished outside expect lots of sanding / shaping
i know they call them drop ins and for the action it is but i could inlet a 4x6 and make it drop in dont stop the outside from being a 4x6 still lol

expect there to be too much wood everywhere except in the inlet (and maybe some extra there too)

pearlonionx3 03-01-2014 02:16 AM

I appreciate the info "nulreference". That's the kind of data that I need. Anyone else care to comment?

DrFootball 03-01-2014 08:05 AM

Stocks

You may also wanna try Stockys...

Axxe55 03-01-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlonionx3 (Post 1518321)
Thanks for the feedback Axxe55. I used a Boyd laminate stock on my last project, restocking a Savage 93R17. The inletting was accurate but excessive wood removal left the stock too weak for my liking. I had to do a significant amount of glass work to strengthen the action area before the actual bedding process. It was very time consuming and "testy" work that I would just as soon avoid with the Vanguard. The project turned out nice. Rifle looks good and accuracy is more than acceptable. I really would like to find someone that has used a Richards stock to see if their inletting leaves more wood and a stronger stock. The Vanguard I am about to work on is my truck gun and takes a real beating. Strength is important.

i had really good luck with my Boyd's on my M93r17. very pleased with it. i then bought one for my Marlin XS7 7mm-08 and it too has been a great stock. for the level of quality and the price, IMO they are hard to beat.

not understanding what you are refering to as excessive wood removal though? and having to do glass work to strengthen the action area?

the only thing i had to do to both of mine was some minor trimming around the safety lever area for the safety to operate properly. about 10-15 minutes with a sharp knife was all i needed to fit it.

pearlonionx3 03-02-2014 03:30 AM

The Boyd stock I received for the 93R17 was accurately inletted. The action dropped right in. However, the wood left on the bottom of the receiver well was only about 1/16" thick .The area where the front receiver screw was fastened was cut open to the magazine well (ie. no wood at all). There was no way a consistent torque could be maintained on the front receiver screw. The wood and floor plate would simply bend and flex. No accuracy could be expected with this set-up! I therefore strengthened the bottom of the receiver well with a relatively thick layer of plastic steel and action pins. Then I glass bedded the action fore and aft. The barrel fully floats. It's strong now, accurate too!! When originally purchased the rifle with composite stock would group around 3/4" @ 50yds and 1 1/2" @ 100yds. Occasionally a 1" 100yd group would appear, but rarely. With the new Boyd stock and glass work, 50 yd groups are consistently 3/8" and 100yd groups are a consistent 3/4" when the wind is not blowing. Not too shabby for a flyweight barrel in my opinion. Bottom line, there was no need for Boyds to remove anywhere as much wood as they did. Perhaps they use this stock for more than just the 93R17 action. Hope this explanation helps your understanding of the problem and the work I performed to fix it. Wish I had taken a pic or 2. Next project I will for sure.

pearlonionx3 06-10-2014 05:19 PM

Project Report

Restocking has been completed. After all comments were evaluated, I ordered a Boyd's stock. It was vastly superior to the stock they furnished for the Savage 93F. Inletting was near perfect and not overdone like the previous product. It could have been used "drop-in". However, I glass bedded the action and installed a Timney trigger as planned. Rifle looks nice and shoots like a "laser". I will use Boyd's product again. Thanks to everyone for your input.