New cleaning kit? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > New cleaning kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe
For my bench I don't use a kit. Like Mountain Man I use CLP, I have a series of one piece rods I all sizes with guides and multiple brushes and mops for every caliber I can find. In each of my tool boxes I have an old M-16 cleaning kit old school not Otis. Then a small Plano box of brushes , adapters etc. with a small bottle of CLP. I found I was not a one size fits all sort of guy.
It really is hard to be a one size fits all too many different things out there
Having a assorted mix of full length rods are great if you have space

Old 06-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx

Ok thanks. I will definitely check into them then. Anyone have a preference on boresnakes or rods for shotguns? I hate the boresnake I have because I have to wrap it around my hand a few times and try frantically to pull it through. I guess I could wrap it around a screwdriver after it is through the chamber and pull it through?
Cory your shotgun what do you use it for? Skeet trap? Or hunting?
One thing that will help cleaning would be to have the bore polished.
It doesn't remove metal from the bore but gives it a super slick surface. Makes cleaning easier and more accurate

Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightbuiltarmory View Post
Cory your shotgun what do you use it for? Skeet trap? Or hunting?
One thing that will help cleaning would be to have the bore polished.
It doesn't remove metal from the bore but gives it a super slick surface. Makes cleaning easier and more accurate
We shoot skeet all the time. Hunting occasionally. I am about to put 3 or 4 of them up along with like 6 or 7 .22s because they are just laying on my bed. lol. I have to make a gun rack and then oil them and put them away for awhile. I acquired a few too many, too quickly and boom I ran out of room to store them. I will be ordering from brownells though. The bores of the shotguns are really clean along with the shotguns themselves. I am thinking about getting rid of one or 2 of my mossbergs though. I hate such a lose action on it. It really annoys me when I am shooting. It just feels flimsy. Is it good to use the bristle brushes on rifles and shotguns? I always worry about scratching up the chamber and all. I guess the inside of the chamber doesn't really matter how scratched it is other then the bore on it. I just don't want to screw anything up. Here is the kind of bore brush I am speaking of.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27002/Product/BORE-BRUSHES

Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #14

Thanks for the link

Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #15

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx

We shoot skeet all the time. Hunting occasionally. I am about to put 3 or 4 of them up along with like 6 or 7 .22s because they are just laying on my bed. lol. I have to make a gun rack and then oil them and put them away for awhile. I acquired a few too many, too quickly and boom I ran out of room to store them. I will be ordering from brownells though. The bores of the shotguns are really clean along with the shotguns themselves. I am thinking about getting rid of one or 2 of my mossbergs though. I hate such a lose action on it. It really annoys me when I am shooting. It just feels flimsy. Is it good to use the bristle brushes on rifles and shotguns? I always worry about scratching up the chamber and all. I guess the inside of the chamber doesn't really matter how scratched it is other then the bore on it. I just don't want to screw anything up. Here is the kind of bore brush I am speaking of.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27002/Product/BORE-BRUSHES
Good choice these should help avoid scratches but I would suggest getting rods with guides.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe View Post
Good choice these should help avoid scratches but I would suggest getting rods with guides.
I will definitely get one piece rods and guides. Along with bore brushes, kroil, cold blue, and some type of oil and lube and whatever else I can think of at the time. I am just going to set up a whole new cleaning kit.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

As far as storage CLP work good
I myself am a nylon brush fan
I ordered 2 of every calibur that iosso offers

Old 06-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, I will definitely be getting together quite a few things for quite a few different purposes soon.