NEF Single Shot Shotgun Not Locking Up
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > NEF Single Shot Shotgun Not Locking Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default NEF Single Shot Shotgun Not Locking Up

Howdy All
A friend gave me a NEF single shot shotgun and the barrel will not lock-up when closing. I'm not familiar with NEF firearms. When you close the barrel and observe the lock mechanism in the receiver ( trigger assy removed ) as the barrel is closing the lock mechanism in the receiver appears to hit against the barrel mechanism prior to lock-up. The point where the two should come together and lock has about .005 interfence preventing lock-up. It does not appear that anyone prior to the gun being given to me has done any thing to the gun.
Cleaned the mechanism with solvent thinking it may just be dirt / powder fowling but didn't help.

I thought that maybe the way the gun works was that a shell had to be in the chamber to allow lock-up but this did not work either. Any suggestions? MC

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You need to take it to your local gunsmith for fitting the lockup. It's a pretty simple fix.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Nef

Thanks for the reply Stalkingbear.
I would prefer to fix this myself. I'm handy with tools (Airplane mech / inspector by trade) and have worked on other firearms. Do it yourself type person. I know my trade does not qualify me as a gun smith but I'm good at fixing things. Like to find out as much as I can before I remove the hammer and locking mechanism. May be able to find one of the firearm assy / dissemble books that gives a detailed view of associated parts. MC

Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default NEF shotgun

I just won a used, very good condition,12ga NEF on GB, it's supposed to have a manual with it, if so, maybe I can send you some information and get you going in the right direction from there. I doubt a manual will help with what is wrong with your firearm but maybe tell you where to go get schematics, Midwayusa, they might can help.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default NEF Shotgun

Hi Paul
Sent you a private message. MC

Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a friend that had one in .223 that the barrel would open on fireing. I never tore it down, but it appered that something in the lock was eather broken, or loose as the locking bolt would not extend to its full lenth. You can take the barrel off and trip the lock by hand and get the lock to engage. Give that a try and see what it is doing. I would recomand that you send it back to the factory for repair, or at least call and talk to them.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Morning Catfish. I've tried to engage the lock but dosen't want to work. The lock mechanism in the receiver hits the the engagement on the barrel and does not allow lock-up. Appears that there is approx .005 interferance that is preventing it from locking. I'll get it torn down once I find a schematic of the parts so I can reassemble correctly. I've used my camera to take pictures of things prior to disassembly so that I can put it back together correctly. Trouble is with this gun is that I can't get inside of the receiver to take a picture prior to removing the parts to see how parts are positioned prior to removing. Once you remove the pin ion the receiver and the part comes out it is hard to tell how other parts were / are positiond to the one you removed. Make sense?
By the way what part of Ohio are you in? I go to my brothers place in South East Ohio every year deer hunting. MC