Need help yet again... Stevens 335
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Need help yet again... Stevens 335

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 03:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Default Need help yet again... Stevens 335

Hey again guys, when I first joined last year it was to try and get help with my old Stevens shotgun. Well I decided to stay around, and now i'm back with more questions!

So last time I talked about this, I was popping primers in one of the barrels (the stevens 335 is a SxS 16 gauge.) I took the thing apart and filed down the firing pin in a attempt to smooth it out and stop popping it. After I finally got it back together, I took it to the range. It still pierced the primers, but it also started to occasionally fire both chambers at once. I cannot replicate the issue by dry firing on snap caps. Safety still works properly as well. Also, once in a while it gives me difficulty with opening it up to eject the shells. The firing pins are stuck out and don't seem to be resetting completely the first try.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be? It is honestly such a pain in the @$$ to put back together that I haven't bothered with it for months. I'm considering just buying all new internals in a year or so, but that would cost me around $150. Would I be crazy to put $150 into a 100 year old shotgun?

Any and all advice is more than welcome, thanks guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I would take it to a smith. I don't have LGQ so I can't really help you at this time but in the future I can! Have a smith head gauge it. Be careful filing down the pin. Check the springs and such, some parts WILL need to be replaced.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
I would take it to a smith. I don't have LGQ so I can't really help you at this time but in the future I can! Have a smith head gauge it. Be careful filing down the pin. Check the springs and such, some parts WILL need to be replaced.
I tried taking it to a smith and he didn't want to deal with it. He said he didn't like old guns because they took too long, and that it would be pretty expensive because of that. Right now finances are extremely tight.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #4

Liked 341 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
I would take it to a smith.
I agree.

If you want to shoot the gun, spend the money and have it fixed by someone that knows what they are doing. If you don't want to spend the coin, hang the shotty over the fireplace and call it a day. Blindly throwing parts at a gun with this condition will likely lead to a braille keyboard as your next purchase. Pun intended....

Old 05-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

both barrels going off at once but only under recoil indicates that it does not have full sear engagement.
The firing pins that still puncture primers and stick out after firing could be (too long of pins) or (pins not rounded enough then polished to be very smooth) or (missing pin re-tractor springs (if it was designed to have them)). This model was not a top of the line shotgun. Should work though but might require a few 'adjustments'.
One of the troubles with older less expensive guns is that they have wear in many areas. this effects each part to some degree and sometimes makes diagnosis and repair difficult. Often these older guns have had replacement 'homemade' parts installed that are made to spec and just increase the repair difficulties.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Last edited by hiwall; 05-25-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
both barrels going off at once but only under recoil indicates that it does not have full sear engagement.
The firing pins that still puncture primers and stick out after firing could be (too long of pins) or (pins not rounded enough then polished to be very smooth) or (missing pin re-tractor springs (if it was designed to have them)). This model was not a top of the line shotgun. Should work though but might require a few 'adjustments'.
One of the troubles with older less expensive guns is that they have wear in many areas. this effects each part to some degree and sometimes makes diagnosis and repair difficult. Often these older guns have had replacement 'homemade' parts installed that are made to spec and just increase the repair difficulties.
I thought that it had something to do with the sears, I just wasn't sure.

The firing pin appears to have broken off a little bit, it's sharp and pointy. I attempted to file and smooth it down, but I didn't take enough off.

This gun has all of it's original parts luckily. It's been in the family for almost a century, and hasn't been shot much in the last 50 years or so. Luckily my parents stored it well!

Thanks for the help

- Franklin

Old 05-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #7

Liked 234 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 17

And with really old guns, sometimes parts from reputable places can be off dim or spec.

Ex: maybe shop XYZ has a bag of firing pins for some obsolete shotgun. They even came from long out of business factory that made the gun, correct part number too.

Good deal right?

Maybe.

They might have been factory seconds, maybe not to some spec (maybe heat treat or alloy).
Pay 15 bucks to have some little pin shipped, pay a 'smith to put it in and watch it break in a couple of shots. Then the owner brings it back to poor old 'smith and demands it be fixed right, for no additional money.

Ya know, since the shotgun was grandpa's and it's priceless (that'd code for: I won't spend over 20 bucks on it).

Heck, even if fixed the owners may not show up to get it for yrs.

And our poor 'smith becomes a junk gun "collector".

Ya really gotta watch it on old rigs, have customers with sense and wallets if you want to fix 'em. Amazing how guys with 50K trucks want their crap guns fixed, with top notch work, for pennies.

Heard it too many times.... if a guy wants that, and then questions my abilities in a rude manner (ask away, but don't be a d*ck about it)...........I just smile and hand him a card, with the number of a local hack that mangles guns.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
And with really old guns, sometimes parts from reputable places can be off dim or spec.

Ex: maybe shop XYZ has a bag of firing pins for some obsolete shotgun. They even came from long out of business factory that made the gun, correct part number too.

Good deal right?

Maybe.

They might have been factory seconds, maybe not to some spec (maybe heat treat or alloy).
Pay 15 bucks to have some little pin shipped, pay a 'smith to put it in and watch it break in a couple of shots. Then the owner brings it back to poor old 'smith and demands it be fixed right, for no additional money.

Ya know, since the shotgun was grandpa's and it's priceless (that'd code for: I won't spend over 20 bucks on it).

Heck, even if fixed the owners may not show up to get it for yrs.

And our poor 'smith becomes a junk gun "collector".

Ya really gotta watch it on old rigs, have customers with sense and wallets if you want to fix 'em. Amazing how guys with 50K trucks want their crap guns fixed, with top notch work, for pennies.

Heard it too many times.... if a guy wants that, and then questions my abilities in a rude manner (ask away, but don't be a d*ck about it)...........I just smile and hand him a card, with the number of a local hack that mangles guns.

Maybe it's because it's early, but I really have no idea what you're talking about!