Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Need Help - Remington Model 48 Sportsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Help - Remington Model 48 Sportsman

I picked up a 12 gauge Remington 48 Sportsman that Im having an issue with and would like to fix the old girl. My understanding that it is the same operation as the more popular 11-48. Semi auto that cycles from the force of the barrell pushing back into the reciever.

Here is the issue......

I bought the gun and gave it a cleaning and everything looks to be in working order. I took it out to shoot it using a #6 Winchester 2-3/4" factory load. It will fire the first round, eject the first round and chamber the second, but when you pull the trigger to shoot the second round it wont fire. If you manually pull the bolt back 3/4+ of the way and let it close back up it will fire. I repeated this a few times with the same issue at each attempt. Any help on possible solutions, things to check or look for would be great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

When it doesn't fire is there a click? If no click then the two things I thought of is the action is not fully cycling or the hammer is not staying locked and is instead following the bolt forward. When you cleaned it did you lube it when done or leave it dry? Metal rubbing on metal needs lube. If you hear a click when you try to shoot then its other things.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #3

No click when you pull the trigger after the second round chambers. I put a light coat of Rem Oil on things after I cleaned them..... now that was 2-3months ago that I applied the oil and its been in the gun cabinet since I took it out yesterday to fire it???

Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

My best guess is the action is not fully cycling. Its been several years since I had one of those apart and my books are out in my shop(I'm to lazy to go out and get one) but I think there is a chance that you put the friction ring assembly together wrong. You could google "friction ring assembly for Remington 11-48 or Sportsman 48 " and you will get the correct assembly picture I'm thinking. I think start with that.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.