Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Need Help With My model 510

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Need Help With My model 510

Greetings

My father left me a Remington targetmaster model 510 that his dad gave him when he was a kid. I hate to say this but my dad didn't take care of it. I found a place where I can get the part I know it needs. Now here is where I need your help. I am not a gunsmith but I do know some thing about guns. when I close the bolt the rifle fires. I am not sure what is the problem. Any Ideas?

James

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2638 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1170

Welcome to the FTF! We have a section for "Introductions" where you can say "Hi" and learn a little about us.

Check the firing pin area and see if the firing pin is deformed from "dry-fire" (a .22 should not normally be dry-fired unless the user manual has that the practice is okay).

The sear may not be holding the hammer.

Either way, I would recommend a trip to a gunsmith. The few dollars involved would be worth the investment.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8382 Times on 3627 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Agree with Dan. Unless the firing pin is always protruding from the bolt face (a broken pin can get wedged into that position) most likely the sear is not holding back the striker. Could be due to a worn/ broken part, or improperly installed part.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4276

This is a good news/ bad news sort of thing.

Good news- parts ARE available.

Bad news- if you do not work on these little Remington actions for a living, they are a BITCH to put the pieces parts in the right order/ position. SERIOUSLY suggest you find a good local smith. Failing that, contact Remington customer service, check about returning it for service at the factory. With a safety issue like that, Remington HAS been known to do work, no charge.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

well I agree with you both and thats what I plan on doing this morning. As far as the link, thats where I got the parts for my 410. I wore the firing pin out when I was a kid LOL. only reason I asked was to see if I was thinking the right area. I was thinking sear pin. I didn't want to take it some where and then them say well it gonna be 700 dollars to repair. yall know what i mean LOL

James