You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

NEED HELP H&r single shot 12ga barrel fitting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NEED HELP H&r single shot 12ga barrel fitting?

Hi guys first time ever posting on here just set up my account!

Here's my problem I have a h&r single shot 12ga topper 88 and I bought a second barrel for it and I got it today and I have no idea how to fit it and would just like some pointers on where to remove material before I even start removing material! I called around and it's stupid expensive to have a gun smith do it for me and way too damn long to wait to get it done too! So I got the new barrel I removed my hand guard and placed the new barrel in the receiver when I went to shut the shotgun up it never locked in place it brings my barrel locking lever all the way down but it never pops back up to lock the breach closed! Can anyone help or have any videos or photos on what to shave down?!? And no I can't take it back I bought it brand new in the factory box at a gun show so yah I'm stuck with it!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4752 Times on 2598 Posts
Likes Given: 1480

Do not modify the action in any way. All mods have to be made to the barrel lug. I know that shotgun barrels can be fitted to rifle receivers but rifle barrels can not be fit to shotgun receivers. Your is a 12 gauge Topper 88 old style and most likely will only take a shotgun barrel or a black powder barrel. Improper fit is extremely dangerous to the shooter.
I have an SB1 receiver in 357 mag. It would take a 20 gauge but that is about it. the 44 mag is an SB2 and would take a 12 gauge. My son has a 30-30/20 gauge and it would accept some other barrels since it is a rifle receiver.

Last edited by JTJ; 01-10-2017 at 05:18 PM.
pavogrande Likes This 
Old 01-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #3

Thank you! This is my first time trying to fit a barrel so I don't want to take too much off the barrel lug and **** it up as well but my local gun smith is stupid expensive and I don't want to take it to him and get massively ripped off so I thought about doing it myself! Everything fits amazingly the only problem is where the barrel release is located at when I push the barrel closed the barrel release switch falls down but there's too much material on the lug that it can't clear and pop back up to engage solid lock up!