Need advice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunNovice1 View Post
Canebreak. Dude im not fighting you or nothin im just saying what im thinking and im asking you people with more experience if its a good plan and if not why?
if you're looking to make big bucks, find another career. gunsmithing is a love of working on firearms, a passion for repairing someones gun that belonged to their father or grandfather. most gunsmiths don't do it for the money, they do it because they truly enjoy working on guns. if you want to be a gunsmith, then do it because you have the passion and love of working on guns. if not, then you are going to set yourself up to be disappointed. most gunsmiths work long hours and make little money, many i know even work a fulltime job and work on guns secondary because money is so much tighter and guns are made a lot different then they use to be. my advise, find a gunsmith in your area and see if he will let you spend time with him and find out what his day is like. also just going to a gunsmithing school will not make you a gunsmith, time, experiance and talent will get you there. the school can only teach you the basics, and only if you have the knack for it will you become one. good luck.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #12

google MOS 91F...Small Arms/Artillery Repairer in the Army. as someone who is in the army. trust me you wont be doing your job 100% of the time. HOWEVER. during AIT and the majority of your career you WILL learn enough to know if you REALLY want to do it or not. if you like it? use your GI Bill to go to school for it. if you dont like it? use your GI Bill to go to school for something else. WIN/WIN situation. finish school and do your research first though.

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life, secondly to liberty, thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
-Samuel Adams

"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives."
-John Adams

Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

if you're looking to make big bucks, find another career. gunsmithing is a love of working on firearms, a passion for repairing someones gun that belonged to their father or grandfather. most gunsmiths don't do it for the money, they do it because they truly enjoy working on guns. if you want to be a gunsmith, then do it because you have the passion and love of working on guns. if not, then you are going to set yourself up to be disappointed. most gunsmiths work long hours and make little money, many i know even work a fulltime job and work on guns secondary because money is so much tighter and guns are made a lot different then they use to be. my advise, find a gunsmith in your area and see if he will let you spend time with him and find out what his day is like. also just going to a gunsmithing school will not make you a gunsmith, time, experiance and talent will get you there. the school can only teach you the basics, and only if you have the knack for it will you become one. good luck.
Im not trying to make huge money. I just love guns. As long as it pays the bills im cool with it. But yea i mean gunsmithing might not be something to completely throw my life into so im gonna go to college for engineering as well. Engineering could help with gunsmithing as well as designing them right???

Old 10-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #14

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Im not trying to make huge money. I just love guns. As long as it pays the bills im cool with it. But yea i mean gunsmithing might not be something to completely throw my life into so im gonna go to college for engineering as well. Engineering could help with gunsmithing as well as designing them right???
In some cases you can make quite a bit of money.
But, many gunsmiths have a day job too. Now, there is a gunsmith here in my area who stays so busy that he doesn't even have the time to look over a used gun for a prospective buyer, unless they're willing to buy it and then wait about 2 months for him to give it a clean bill of health.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #15

Liked 58 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 44

As was mentioned earlier, Gunsmith school will not make you a gunsmith. Years of experience and exposure to hundreds or even thousands of various guns will do that. You will also need to have a strong background as a machinist, metalurgy and physics. If you love to work on guns you are on your way but it will take time and dedication to become a good smith. Good luck, I hope you do well. We need more good gunsmiths.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #16

i wish you luck. i hope you find your place in the gun world that makes you happy. you might look into seeing if there is a gunsmith who would be willing to let you apprentice for him and learn all you can. would be a great summer job.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #17

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your feedback. I had someone tell me today that no civilians should have guns. I was ready to slap the crap outta him...

Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #18

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your feedback. I had someone tell me today that no civilians should have guns. I was ready to slap the crap outta him...
What stopped you? I'll take a boat paddle to someone in a heartbeat.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
What stopped you? I'll take a boat paddle to someone in a heartbeat.
some people believe that if guns are outlawed and banned, that crime rates will decrease. well if they believe that, then are on some good dope or stupid! i personally don't want to have to rely upon someone else to secure my safety and well being and i don't want to be a victim because i had no way to protect myself. evil in men wanting to do bad things to others, existed way before guns were invented. i believe in peace through superior firepower.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #20

I hear you both. I didnt hit him cause i was in school. And he apparently believes that guns are the reason for crime... Its like hes saying that if im attacked by someone with a knife, im supposed to run? What if hes faster than me? And am i supposed to engage in hand to hand combat? What if he overpowers me? I die? I dont freaking think so...