Need advice - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Jon,

I spoke with TX on the telephone. I believe it also comes down to the fact that the rifle is a used weapon and he just got it! We spoke about all the brass and other particles seen in the picture. Then another issue was stated by TX. That the bolt did not always go into battery. Whoops!! I advised him to clean the Barrel Extension area very well including the back side of the locking lugs. And the chamber with a brush and strong cleaner to dissolve any varnish. It is not the magazines and the M-4 Feed Ramps look OK. After he explained the symptoms in detail it is my thought that who ever had the gun before him was shooting ammunition that had the varnish coating on them and his chamber is all packed from the varnish residue. He is going to clean it and check it. I advised him how to do it. I then told him if that didn't solve his issue. He needed to go to a local "Gun Smith or Armorer so they can first hand diagnose the problem with the weapon in hand. Hard to do on the web or over the phone. But I really think it could be the varnish issue from what he last explained. Saw a rifle last month you could hardly get the Bolt to unlock when pulling hard on the charging handle ! Love that S--t!
Dillinger! Any thoughts?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #22

@Wenonah

The bolt sometimes closes without chambering a round and also jams a round half way in the chamber and half way in the mag with the extractor pinning it against the side. Then it doesn't lock back after emptying a magazine. I took the carrier key off the carrier and cleaned all well i just need the tools to replace it and give it the correct seal needed.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #23

Default Laquer & Gas Tube

@ Sniper03

From your experience...does this picture of the star chamber look like its coated in laquer? see around the outer edges where there are light and dark colored areas..i tried just wiping that off and it wont come off so i believe that is laquer.

@ JonM

Here are pictures of the gas tube ports. how would i check barrel tension and how to remove gas block?

photo-25-.jpg   photo-26-.jpg   photo-27-.jpg   photo-28-.jpg  

Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmadelatino View Post
@Wenonah

The bolt sometimes closes without chambering a round and also jams a round half way in the chamber and half way in the mag with the extractor pinning it against the side. Then it doesn't lock back after emptying a magazine. I took the carrier key off the carrier and cleaned all well i just need the tools to replace it and give it the correct seal needed.
Remember not to place too much by my advice, I'm just working from a general troubleshooting standpoint, I am not an AR expert.

Both of those issues can be from the bolt not moving completely to the rear. With the bolt getting just far enough back to grab the round it can't overcome the friction from the mag lips. With most autos the bolt moves about 3/8" or more past the rear of the mag. This lets it get a little inertia going to overcome magazine tension and strip the round. Does it ever fail to load when you pull the charging handle all the way back and release it? If it always loads reliably when manually charging then it's pretty well down to the gas system and a full strip down is in order. If it sometimes jams when manually charging it could be varnish or a dirty recoil spring/plunger. You will never regret getting that varnish out though.

On the photos, the critical part of the gas tube is the end where it mates with the key, that is your most likely point for a leak. I don't know if you can get a picture of that without removing the barrel, gas block or both. It's starting to sound like you're going to have to see the gunsmith if removing varnish or cleaning the recoil spring don't fix you.

Don't forget to get that key re-peened. You don't want that working loose.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor