Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

yes i have tried the military issued mags. and i upgraded to PMAGS today at the range and the FFl dealer even tried different ones they had in the shop..still did it. im breaking down the bolt system now.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
3. But it may be deceiving iin the picture but the Carrier Key just does not look right in the picture. Is it jagged and not uniform around the Carrier Key hole as it looks?
Which brings me to the point if it is damaged it has in all probability worn the Gas Tube end that is supposed to have a flared end on it. If you could send a better picture of the Carrier Key and Gas tube inside that would be helpful.

Thats what i was thinking, it might just be the angle or lighting of the pic but the nose of the carrier key looks short and worn down, might not be sealing with the gas tube

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #13

more pics of bolt

Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #14

more pics of bolt

Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Tx

The Extractor Insert should have a spring over it. It also looks like the large head of the insert is upside down in the picture. It should be installed by sitting down the Insert like it is a nail on a flat surface with the large head sitting on the flat surface. Then the Extractor Insert Spring has a large coil on one end and a smaller coil on the other. When the Spring is placed over the Insert the Large Coil should be down against the large head on the insert. The the Large Coil of the Spring and the large head of the Insert go down into the Extractor Indentation recess. You Can pinch it in gently until it snaps into place. Is there even a Spring on the Blue Insert? Can't see one in the picture. Also I will be sending you a PM in a minute. We may have found your problem?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #16

here they are

Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #17

yes the extractor insert is big head down and the small spring in previous pics is the one that goes to that.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #18

First, contstructive criticism:
I'm no AR expert but I can tell you that as difficult as it is to diagnose malfunctions via photographs, blurry photos make it almost impossible. Try laying the carrier key on a white background and make sure the image is crisp before you post it. Play with different lighting angles also to make sure you have good contrast on the critical parts. A shot of the gas tube might be useful as well since it's the seal between the two that gives sufficient energy to the bolt to get a full stroke.

Now questions:
By miss-feed do you mean that the round is not moving smoothly into the chamber or is the bolt failing to catch it at all leaving it in the magazine while the bolt closes on an empty chamber? If I recall my M-16 days correctly the bolt catch holds the bolt very near the rear of its travel. If it's not stripping a round at all and doing it frequently with multiple mags while not locking back it's apparent that the bolt is not moving to it's full rearward position.

Theory:
If, as you say, everything is clean, lubed and moves freely without burrs then the problem is likely in the gas system. Clean the tube and make sure there is a good seal between the tube and carrier key. Obstructions or excessive leakage can both reduce energy transmitted to the bolt carrier and cause short strokes which would lead to a failure to eject, failure to lock back and cause the bolt to close on an empty chamber with rounds in the mag. It sounds like you may need a new gas tube and/or carrier key to get this thing running properly.

My opinion on the roles people play:
Firearms dealers are not necessarily experts in firearms, they are experts in sales and the administrative requirements to commercially sell firearms. Most firearms dealers are interested in firearms while other guys, like you'll find in the gunsmith forums, are interested not only in firearms but how they work; you came to the right place.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor

Last edited by Wenonah; 02-19-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #19

As an afterthough, don't forget to disassemble and clean the recoil spring in the butstock. Grit in there is harder to feel but can rob enough energy to cause the same issues.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor

Old 02-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

couple of things.

what ammo are you using?? some foriegn ammo can be underpowered or over powered.

the barrel extension looks boogered up. like the previous owner tried to dremel m4 cuts. i would also check to mke sure the barrel is on tight enough and the front gas block is centered.

can also remove the gasblock and check for fouling in the front end parts and run a really long pipe cleaner through the tube. check to see if gas is leaking around the gas port. look for a LOT of dirt around the port area.

incorrect buffer spring can cause feed issues as can a worn buffer retaining detent.

a heavier than spec buffer can also cause it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...