Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   My Rossi .38 Spc 5 shot revolver shoots high. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/my-rossi-38-spc-5-shot-revolver-shoots-high-30072/)

dgray64 08-05-2010 03:43 AM

My Rossi .38 Spc 5 shot revolver shoots high.

My Rossi with a 3" barrel shoots high. I shoot about 15 yards and have to aim at the bottom lip of the paper plate to put it above center. From about 25' with point and shoot fast, it's accurate enough. What I need to do is add to the front site. What are your suggestions? Do you think I can add just a little (probably an eighth inch) using JB Weld? I don't want to spend the amount needed to ship it back to the factory, as everything else about it is great. Thanks for your advice.

Dave

robocop10mm 08-05-2010 03:53 AM

What ammo? Believe it or not, slow heavy bullets will hit high at these ranges. The guns is actually recoiling before the bullet leaves the barrel. The direction the barrel was pointing when the trigger was pulled is actually different than the direction it was pointed when the bullet actually left the barrel. Try a lighter faster bullet (110 - 125 gr +P) and see where that hits. It should hit true with the actual ammo carried

dgray64 08-05-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 326283)
What ammo? Believe it or not, slow heavy bullets will hit high at these ranges. The guns is actually recoiling before the bullet leaves the barrel. The direction the barrel was pointing when the trigger was pulled is actually different than the direction it was pointed when the bullet actually left the barrel. Try a lighter faster bullet (110 - 125 gr +P) and see where that hits. It should hit true with the actual ammo carried

That's amazing. I never heard of that. I've been shooting 158g jacketed bullets (some new and some of my own reloads). I'll try some lighter bullets and let you know the results. Thanks!

Dave

CA357 08-05-2010 03:01 PM

Let us know how it works out.

dgray64 08-06-2010 09:21 PM

I don't know how it was possible that you were right!! Logically, it doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, I have a lot of 158g bullets in .38 but no lighter bullets. I do have some 9mm 124g bullets, but they of course are .355 diameter while .38 bullets are .356.

I ran the bullets though an RCBS sizer, did a small bell for the bullet start and then loaded them up with Silhouette powder. It's so hot here that I hate to be outside, but ran down to the pasture right after noon on the 4-wheeler and set up a new paper plate.

I made a pencil mark in the center of the plate and fired off 5 rounds of my 158g reloads, hitting the center while aiming at the bottom lip of the plate. Next, I loaded 5 rounds of the 124g reloads and aimed at the mark in the center of the plate. Bang, .... wow, there's a hole there! I fired off the rest of them and looked at the holes in the center of the plate. Thanks Robocop10mm. Now I have to order some lighter bullets for my .38 reloads.

Tell me why a lighter bullet flies truer to the point of aim rather than the heavier bullet. It would seem like gravity would pull the heavier one down. Again, thanks a lot!!

Dave

danf_fl 08-06-2010 09:45 PM

Ah, physics. Heavier bullets normally run at a slower rate than lighter ones. the lighter bullets are gone before recoil can take over moving the muzzle upwards, whereas the heavier bullets remain in the barrel just a little longer.
As the muzzle rises higher so do your hits on target.
Most of this is compensated for in sight height.
Normally, you can take two - three foot items (one that will fit in barrel and chamber, the other will lie on the sights), they will not be parallel. the item on the sights will align to aim point, but the one in the barrel will be pointed down.