Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   My Hi Power has BIG problems, need advice please (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/my-hi-power-has-big-problems-need-advice-please-87771/)

CA357 03-29-2013 04:26 PM

My Hi Power has BIG problems, need advice please

My 1961 FN HP has some issues that I wasn't aware of. It was an Argentine service pistol and I guess it's just shot out. I haven't fired it yet, just cleaned, lubed it and looked it over. I looked fine to me, but a gunsmith examined it and found the barrel is pitted with one very deep pit. There's several degrees of rotation in the slide and a good amount of end play in the barrel lugs, a lot of up and down and side to side play in the slide. (this is cause for the rotation) I thought of having a new barrel fitted, but that wouldn't solve the other problems.

It was refurbished by FM, but apparently all that was done was the replacement of the hammer and trigger springs and a rebluing.

It's not going to be very accurate, but is it even safe to shoot with the pitted barrel and the looseness?

The cost of just having a new barrel installed is around $300. Do you think it's worth installing a new barrel and can the other issues be fixed? Is it even worth fixing in its condition? What do you suggest?

hiwall 03-29-2013 05:28 PM

I have shot many guns with pitted barrels that shot very acceptable groups. The pitted barrel is Not a safety issue(unless it is pitted most of the way thru).
Can't really comment about the looseness as this is kinda relative to whoever is looking at the gun(one might say it is real loose and the next guy might find it acceptable).
I would sell/trade before I put an added $300 in that thing. It might shoot good enough the way it is. If it doesn't, its gun show material.

CA357 03-29-2013 05:33 PM

Thanks. I guess I won't put any money into it. I'll shoot it when I get a chance and see how it goes. Unfortunately that will probably be a week or more from now.

Good news! I just spoke with the gunsmith and he says it's perfectly safe to shoot. Due to the condition of the barrel, it will probably foul more quickly than a new barrel and it wan't be as accurate as a Hi Power should be, but it should be okay.

At least I don't have to relegate it to paperweight status.

danf_fl 03-29-2013 07:29 PM

Hey, how much do you have in it?

Do you want to sell it?

Get a hold of Bill at Cylinder and Slide. They do a lot of work on Hi-Powers and may have some parts laying around.

orangello 03-29-2013 07:47 PM

Isn't there some crap you can fill holes/pits with? Like barrel bondo-type stuff?

danf_fl 03-29-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1195729)
Isn't there some crap you can fill holes/pits with? Like barrel bondo-type stuff?

That would be okay in some areas, but not on a barrel.
A barrel flexes as a round goes through it.
Kinda like harmonics in a rifle (and why they developed the B.O.S.S.)

HOSSFLY 03-29-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1195729)

Shoot lead bullets - the pitts may fill themselves :p

DrumJunkie 03-29-2013 09:43 PM

Can't speak about the rest but the barrel is replaceable is it not?

MattShlock 03-29-2013 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
He said as much, and it is. Barrels can be had cheaper and should basically be drop in though I had a 'smith do mine to be sure. And, aren't there companies who work on the slide to actually insert a new permanent bushing in effect more like on a 1911? I'm sure there were (see muzzle in pic below). Autos are only as accurate as they return to the same exact in-battery. As for the rest of the play -- ruh roh Shaggy. They can be tightened up a little but only so much so all of this may be for naught.

This photo is from Bill Laughridge's Cylinder and Slides by the way.

Where did you get this firearm?

danf_fl 03-29-2013 11:26 PM

CA - two suggestions for Cylinder and Slide.

They must be good.