my baby is sick! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > my baby is sick!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
You are right, salts aren't acidic, but they are CORROSIVE. As all bases are.
Agreed. However, like acids, bases are not corrosive to everything.

The mixture of bases that make up bluing salts are not highly corrosive to steel. If they were, the steel tanks in which they are used and stored would disintegrate and leave a god-awful mess.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #32

TexPat,

If you haven't screwed something up, you haven't blued much.

The early Smith's were all blued by one man. He had his own formulation and never shared it with anyone. He did have it written down but his widow tossed it after his death. Or, that's how the story goes. Who knows? I will agree that some of the early work in the coloring process is a little different than today and quite beautiful. Carbona being one example.

The deep liquid look you are aspiring to is mostly about how the steel is polished. Most smiths that offer bluing today simply won't take the time needed to achieve a near mirror polish on the steel.
It can be done. I have done it many times. But, it's work. Real work. It's not just a matter of hitting it with a wheel or two. The final polish is done by hand.

As to your nitre bluing efforts, this process should only be used on small parts.
The finish is not durable enough to last on an entire firearm. Also, with the temperatures needed to achieve the colors, you can seriously change the temper of the steel. Not a good thing when were talking about chambers and receivers. In fact, I use nitre salts to temper springs.

I like to use nitre bluing as an accent. Things like screws, pins, slide releases and safety levers or buttons look good this way. I have made some sterling silver and nitre blued steel to make some unique jewelery.

I am more than willing to share what I've learned over the years but I hate to type. If you want to talk more, IM me your phone #.

I'm in Austin.

Tim

Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn View Post
Agreed. However, like acids, bases are not corrosive to everything.

The mixture of bases that make up bluing salts are not highly corrosive to steel. If they were, the steel tanks in which they are used and stored would disintegrate and leave a god-awful mess.

I had wondered about that. I've been using Brownells formula. I know the stuff burns.Got a few scars to prove that. I wondered why it didn't erode my iron tanks, but would dissolve aluminum. Wierd...

Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #34

If it was reblued, the salts remove all barrel fouling.
The observations made so far are excellent.

If it's not a barrel problem, then it's more than likely a problem with stock fit as you did do some mods to the stock or a scope/mount problem. Do try another scope, they go bad at the weirdest times.
Put some different shims under the barrel a the forend and see if that picks up your groups.

Lastly, some handloaded ammo shoots far worse than factory ammo. It many times takes a while to find the right load for your rifle, they all like something a little different. Go back and try some commercial ammo to rule out your handload as being the problem.

Bedding an action is not hard and there are a lot of instructions in some of the gunsmithing rifles books. Don't be afraid to try it.
I would look at everything else first before beding though.

Make sure that your gunsmith is a good one, there are a lot of hacks out there who claim to be good. I'm a retired smith and have fixed more botched up weapons from "Good smiths" than I can count. Too many AGI gunsmiths out there.

Let us know what you find and have tried, John K

Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #35

OK, here we are working again.... after i cut the barrel end off I had it re-crowned. Took it out and it actually shot some groups again! BUT, here is a small issue, depending on the loads and bullet weights.... typically when switching to lighter/heavier bullets you have a vertical gain/loss, this thing shoots one group low right and another high left???? whats up with that?

I have shot groups with a few different loads, but they are in different spots, this weekend I will be trying to see if each load groups where it did last weekend