Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > my baby is sick!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just thinking out loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
This is going to get some responses, I can assure you of that.

Let me just ask this for the sake of asking, for my own personal knowledge:

Have you tried putting one of your previously fire formed brass cases, from when the rifle was shooting well, back into the chamber and check the fit??

Because the .25-06 headspace you had before might NOT be the headspace you have now, even if it is indeed "correct".

I will give this some thought and post more later, I have several ideas running through my head - but not many of them are quick and I am on a timer here.

JD
Headspace or shims removed/added on stock or torq on mounting screws or this is out there, but Golden Eagles have a adjustment on the firing pin(depth of penetration), is there any signs of blow back or distruction on the primers of the shells you have fired since the reblueing? Belief me, Stranger things have happened? You are sure the same ammo is being used? Crown on the rifle hasn't been damaged during reblueing? Or was it recrowned during the process? JMO

Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #12

I did not know about the adjustment, but everything looks good on the primers. i have inspected all the rounds i have shot in the past few weeks. the crown was suggested by the last gunsmith, he looked it over and said it looked fine and did not look to be re-crowned. but no guarantees. same ammo was used after that was used before.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #13

How was the reblue job done? If the salts entered the chamber and were not nuetralized, that might be a big part, if not the only problem. In the service my first hot salt reblue job (Oxynate 7) was on a match grade Garand. I ended up with solution in the bore that wasn't properly neutralized. It just kept on rusting for about a week until I noticed it on reassembly. Needless to say, it wasn't match grade after that.

I would try to find a bore scope to have a look. Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 AM   #14

that seems to be a valid suggestion. we have looked with a light, but i think i need to find a borescope.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #15

OK guys, I have cleaned my rifle really good, loaded up new rounds and started off today with what shot the best group last fall and NOPE!!! the same exact load would not come close to grouping. Then i fell upon another load that showed promise, loaded 5 more the same and they shot really well, so i loaded 5 more the same and 5 lowering the jump .005 each till they touched the lands then could not get any of them to group any more. I am so frustrated!

Next thing is to try re-crowning the barrel, after that i guess i will start searching someone who can make me a new barrel for my gun. I have not found anyone who can give me an answer on the bore condition as of yet, am still looking for a gunsmith who can in the UP or Wisconsin.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's my guess the crown is damaged (perhaps it was dropped) or the bluing solution got inside the barrel. Headspace shouldn't change on a rebluing job.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #17

Took a good light and a cool magnifying glass today and looked in the bore as far as i could. I was not happy with what i found. the first inch to inch and a quarter is all pitted from something.

I am assuming this would affect performance.

what are my options??? what will happen if i chop an inch and a half off the barrel and re-crown it?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #18

The pitting is most likely from bluing solution in the bore and not neutralized. It sounds to me that the person who blued your barrel owes you another barrel. I'm sure a cutting barrel & a precision recrown will help, but how much I don't know. The reason I don't know how much the crown will help is I don't know how far down the barrel the pitting goes.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #19

well drastic measures were taken this past weekend

I cut a bit over an inch off the barrel, squared it nicely and removed all the burrs, the groups didnt improve, but i suspect i need the barrel properly crowned.

Does the $80 crowning tool they make work well? I am thinking of ordering it and giving it a shot. or do you recommend a professional?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #20

What you'll have to do is "break" the edge of the rifling after you crown with a brass ball and lapping compound. I'd recommend you have it crowned by a gunsmith. It'll be more precise to crown it on a lathe.