My 270 Savage has a pitted barrel :/
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > My 270 Savage has a pitted barrel :/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My 270 Savage has a pitted barrel :/

Hey guys, my 270 savage has a bit of pitting in the barrel. This gun was a gift to me and i am wondering if there are any fixes that can help. will this affect the groupings? can i get a replacement barrel in 243 cal? and is this interchangeable in the model 110 savage that i have, it seems that i can screw off the barrell as i have seen some barrell upgrades and replacement kits on line for under 200.

Or is it even worth messing with?

Thanx in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

My understanding is that barrel replacement on a Savage is relatively easy. You will need a headspace gauge in the appropriate caliber to set the new barrel in the receiver.
The .243 is a short action caliber and the .270 is a long action caliber. You may need some modification to the magazine for the short round to work in the long mag.
What is wrong with the .270? Very competent caliber. Just because the barrel has some pitting does not mean it must be replaced. Is accuracy poor? Or do you just want to build a project gun?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #3

Just wanted to know if the slight pitting is going to affect the accuracy? if the pitting does not affect the accuracy too much then it will be all good

Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I guess that would depend on the level of accuracy you are talking about and what level of pitting you are refering to.

While pitting is never ideal... In a hunting rifle that is going to take 4 shots a year ( a three round sight in group and one for the animal ) I would say you don't have anything to worry about.

If it were a precision benchrest rifle, then hell yes, pitting would be the death of your chances to even place in an event.

All things relative to what you are going for....

Otherwise Robo is on point with the barrel change being easy and a head space gauge being needed.

JD

Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #5

Again, time to separate the wheat from the chaff...

Savage is VERY easy to change barrels in,
Simply loosen the barrel nut, and unscrew the barrel from the receiver.

Clip a round on the bolt and close the bolt,
Screw the new barrel into the receiver until you feel the barrel shoulder on the round in the chamber, back the barrel off slightly, and tighten the barrel nut.

If you are smart, you will drill a hole in the side of the round you use to head space the barrel, and dump the powder out, and squirt a little oil in the round to neutralize the primer...
Accidents do happen, and a Dummy Round of production dimensions is good to have to prevent accidents.
------------------

The Savage 110 is a very reliable rifle, and reasonably accurate for about any hunting you will be doing.
I would rank it as one of the most economical rifles ever made simply because it is so sturdy and easy to work on.
------------------

To answer the orignal question,
Pits in a barrel don't make that big of a difference in the accuracy of a hunting rifle.

You can use a 'Lapping' compound on bullets to minimize the effects of the pitting, but be careful! Most people over do the 'Fire Lapping' and wind up taking the edges off the rifling!

If you ever take a look down some of the early hammer forged barrels, you will see lots of 'Pits', and many of those barrels were 'Hyper' accurate.
Pits with sharp edges, or pits that have rust scale still sticking out of them will take 'Bites' out of the bullets,
But pits with polished edges aren't of much concern unless they are REALLY big!

Most hunting rifles are more accurate than the shooters or the sights/optics mounted on them, so small imperfections are not a big deal.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
If you are smart, you will drill a hole in the side of the round you use to head space the barrel, and dump the powder out, and squirt a little oil in the round to neutralize the primer...
Are you seriously advocating putting a live round in a drill press or vice and inducing heat, by way of the drill bit, to drill a hole into the casing and "dump the powder out"?!

Perhaps using a head space guage might be too much of a problem for you, but it certainly won't blow up in your face.

TS - You can do what you want in the comfort of your own home, but I personally would not recommend heating a live round, for even a few seconds, with a drill bit.

Gun powder go Boom sometimes...

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 10-08-2008 at 11:50 PM.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The ONLY safe way of creating/using a "dummy" round is to use bullet puller,pull bullet,dump powder out-making SURE to get it all out,remove primer VERY cautiously with deprimer,THEN drill holes in side of case! Also-simply using a factory round,screwing until contact,and backing off a lil is TOO IMPRECISE-headspace gauge is THE best way. If you INSIST on headspacing using a dummy round,I reccomend this method. put 2 layers of scotch tape on the head of case,trim excess off,since savage is a pushfeed type action put dummy round in chamber,close bolt,slowly screw barrel in by HAND until snug on dummy round. Then operate bolt to ensure correct headspace. It SHOULD close snug on the dummy round with the scotch tape on head. If it isn't snug,screw barrel back until the bolt just closes on dummy round with slight resistance(snug).

Old 10-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Hammer View Post
Again, time to separate the wheat from the chaff...
AR Hammer, why do you have to be so caustic by implying you are the only one who knows anything? I must admit your post was very informative and while I usually always agree with both Dillinger and stalkingbear who in my view are no dummies, however I personally wouldn't have a problem drilling a hole in a live round either. The flash point(really called kindling) temperature of smokeless(key word) powder is much higher than obtainable by drilling in soft brass case with a sharp steel bit. stalkingbear's suggestion of using tape on the back of the case though I have never tried it is pretty informative as well.

I joined this site to both learn and teach. I have been reloading for just a little over 50 years and I have owned and worked on a myriad of guns through out my life. The only Savage I am familiar are lever action and while I have rebarreld and re-chambered a few guns in my time I always bought a reamer and cut the chambers myself using a go and no go gauge for head spacing. Your suggestion of using a round sounds OK to me especially using a barrel that has already been chambered and has the adjustments you suggest it has. In closing please be assured that I am smart enough to recognize that you are a very knowledgeable guy and real value to this forum so please lighten up just a little and continue to share your knowledge, who knows you might learn something as well, I know I always do

Last edited by h2oking; 10-18-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #9

Yeah, I would suggest using a round, dummy or not, to set head space. That is how any hack would do it in their garage after a few beers...

Seriously, head space is set with a head space GUAGE because it is machined to a SPECIFIC dimension. Every round, reload, factory, dummy or otherwise will have some variation in dimension. Your rifle would then be head spaced perfectly for a specific load from a specific lot number from a specific box of ammo. Spend the $20 and get the correct head space guage, period.

ARHammer, between your attitude and ****ty advice, you are quickly going the way of the other "chaff".
The powder in a live round CAN and WILL ignite if the case is drilled, I have seen the after math of it once. There is no right, safe, acceptable or okay way to drill a live round. I really don't care about your years of machine shop experience, military firearms instructor experience or other boastful ventures, bad advice is bad advice and a bad attitude is a bad attitude.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 AM   #10

Was into Cabelas, and LEE reloading equipment has come out with a thing i believe is a head space guage, it was $35 or less. I didn't have a chance to stop and look at it, but it was a round on the end of a rod. Hope this helps.

sincerely
wrench

<striving to enter at the narrow gate>