Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Mounting a scope on Mosin Nagant (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/mounting-scope-mosin-nagant-43138/)

remi514 05-28-2011 07:40 PM

Mounting a scope on Mosin Nagant

Hey guys just got a new Mosin Nagant and it is my first military style rifle. It is a model 91-30. I know some people are going to be upset but I want to mount a scope on it so I can really rely on it for a hunting gun. I have been looking at the LER (Long Eye Relief) style mounts that go on the dovetails where the rear site mounts. So if I take off the rear site i can just attach to those dovetails. I was wondering if this was a good way to mount a scope and how sturdy it would be. I like this idea because then I don't have to drill the reciever and bend the bolt. Also if i do it like this i can always put the rear site back on. Furthermore I was wondering if you guys knew of a middle of the class scope with a lot of eye relief, I have even heard of using a pistol scope but I kinda want something with more magnification. Thanks for all your help.:o

Twnorman 05-29-2011 03:50 PM

well, i'd be carful, if you put a scope on the nagant, you may need to adjust the bolt action to have a right angle. I don't know if your scope would allow your bolt to function freely.
Secondly, you may have some more success if you get a russian built scope that was used for the nagant.
Just my thoughts. I have one too, and i love it as an open sight rifle.
What year is your rifle? I picked up a 1942 year.

jpattersonnh 05-30-2011 08:34 PM

You'll be fine! A long relief scope will set you back for a good one suitable for hunting. Don't buy a cheap scope!!

remi514 06-02-2011 08:15 PM

I got a '39. Bores in really good shape

shootingmad 07-09-2011 06:29 AM

As Twnorman was saying, you may find the bolt will hit the scope and prevent you from being able to cycle the weapon. The original Nagants that were made into sniper rifles had a modification to the bolt. See Modern Firearms - Mosin for a picture.
Good luck.

JonM 07-09-2011 12:51 PM

Numrich usually has turned down bolt handles. Easy to swap out

Trez 07-09-2011 03:29 PM

If you use the "scout" scope mount you shouldnt have to bend the bolt, usually the scope will be forward of the bolt. that mount style is the easy way to go..

jpattersonnh 07-09-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 537696)
If you use the "scout" scope mount you shouldnt have to bend the bolt, usually the scope will be forward of the bolt. that mount style is the easy way to go..

That is what the OP said!!! Does a single person actually read?????
Long Eye Relief= scout mount!!!!

I can see the noobs, but you older guys really dissapoint me.

JonM 07-10-2011 12:45 AM

the turned down handle is a good upgrade whether or not you got a scope

jpattersonnh 07-10-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 537985)
the turned down handle is a good upgrade whether or not you got a scope

Hmmm, No! Sorry, I really dissagree. Original is better. The strait handle gives more torque for those pita shells.