mossberg 500 won't eject
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

mossberg 500 won't eject

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default mossberg 500 won't eject

I've had a mossberg 500 for several years, and some how the trigger housing broke so i sent it to my local gunsmith because i couldnt find a replacement. He fixed it and it worked great for about a month, until the first morning of dove season and somehow it got jammed up, so I quickly dissassembled it an got it working and shot some doves, then when i got home i took it completely apart and a small crushed spring fell out of the action!!! I never could figure out what it went in and it has failed to eject ever since. I dont think its the ejector, it could be the exrtactor but imnot real sure. It pulls the shell halfway out before it loses it, and some times it wont pull it out at all, and i have to pry the empty shell out with my knife. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Liked 163 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The small crushed spring is indeed the extractor spring. You'll need to replace it, and maybe the extractor.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That was my first thought to, but the extractor spring is there and the extractor seems to be fine. It extracts the shell most of the time, but loses it about a half inch out the chamber. The problem seems to be with the bolt, as it slides back it moves just far enough to the right that the extractor loses hold of the shell.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #4

Liked 163 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You are aware you're supposed to have both a right extractor AND a left extractor right? It sounds like 1 extractor is missing or broke. It still sounds like the extractor spring to me.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #5

If you have no luck, go to the Brownells web site, on the right side of the main page are schmatics. Take your gun apart and look at every part and look for the missing spring.
Do check both extractors first. If you need a new spring or other part, brownells sells the parts at a reasonable price.

Best of luck, John K

Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, it is the left extractor. I had no idea that it had two extractors, and I already have one ordered.