Mossberg 500 sear spring

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Mossberg 500 sear spring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Default Mossberg 500 sear spring

My mossberg will not set the sear to hold the hammer back. I found that the spring is broken in the sear. When I hold the muzzel up in the air the hammer locks when I hold the muzzel down it does not . I took out the hammer and hammer spring and checked it and that was the problem. I need a sear spring, is it much harder to take out the sear?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mossberg 500s are pretty easy to replace just about every part on them. Just pay close attention on the positioning of the sear & spring & you'll be ok. Here's a link to gunpartscorp with exploded drawing.
Mossberg*|*500*|*e-GunParts.com

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Default Thanks,

I took out the hammer and hammer rod and spring. no problem there, but I think I have to take out the disconect and side rod to get to the sear.I am not sure if I can remove the sear with out removing both the DC and the rod on the left side. I have not seen the spring being broken, but the sear only moves is gravity or if you put a small screwdriver and move it. no resistance to pushing it into the release posistion. It has to be a bad spring.